Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 75 - wont come down fully

Hello,

I have a 1998 Yamaha 2 Stroke 75 TLRW when I was disassembled the Tilt piston to change the Tilt Seal (after lunch…) I lost a little ball 4mm rolling across the floor on the garage... After assembly all parts the tilt trim doesn’t work correctly, it goes up very well (fully)but wont come down, completely fully.
    Now I only have this parts to assembly: five balls, five springs, five pins and five “mushrooms”. So I have two questions if someone can help me.

First question, what is the correct installation sequence?
    1st ball
    2nd "mushrooms"
    3rd pin
    4th spring
    5th Cover washer

Second question, where belongs the sixth ball ?

Thanks for yours cooperation,
    Have a nice 2019 to everyone’s

not the same model Yamaha - but I am imagine the t/t units are nearly identical;

did you drive out a tiny roll pin, to liberate that 6th ball?

Comment

I unfortunately wasn’t the same model... So and I didn’t drive out a tiny roll pin, below there’s some pictures . The second pic. is the order that I assembled the piston, I dont know if its correct .

Kind regards

Comment

You have assembled it right. As fairdeal said there is a tiny ball locked behind a roll pin in the tiny 6th hole in piston. It is for letting air pass I think.

Have you trimmed it up with motor and let it all the way down with release screw several times, checking fluid level in reservoir regularly. That’s how you bleed out the air from the system.

Comment

that tiny ball is for fluid to pass.possibly the memory piston is stuck, at impact the 5 springs aand balls unseat ans allow the ram to move up. the memory piston stays in place. after impact fuid flows through that single tiny pinned ball and allows the ram back down.

Comment

I guess the big question is where is that 6th ball suppose to be in that set up, and did he find it after rolling across the floor?
            if he did not drive a roll pin out , then it had to come out somewhere else

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              I guess the big question is where is that 6th ball suppose to be in that set up, and did he find it after rolling across the floor?
              if he did not drive a roll pin out , then it had to come out somewhere else
              I,
              the ball was dropped in the grease box, I found it yesterday !

But the problem still there... I have a question:

The Torx Screw M6x10 shouldn't have regulation?

if it is too tight, the flush doesn't allows the ball-seat-spring to expand than the fluid wouldn't pass at all, right?

Kind regards

Comment

are both washers{G} in place?
                I never torque that screw, how tight can you go with a 6mm screw?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  are both washers{G} in place?
                  I never torque that screw, how tight can you go with a 6mm screw?
                  I guess in this tilt piston there's only a single washer locate on the screw.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    that tiny ball is for fluid to pass.possibly the memory piston is stuck, at impact the 5 springs aand balls unseat ans allow the ram to move up. the memory piston stays in place. after impact fuid flows through that single tiny pinned ball and allows the ram back down.
                    If he did not drive out that roll pin, how did the 6th ball come out?
                    and how and where did the OP put it back into?

To me it looks like the 5th pic in the second set of pictures show the pin that would have to be driven out for the 6th ball to come out.

Comment

trust me that setup has two washers<G, in the diagram.
                      now is when I say insert the knife between the second and third rib.
                      why you guys think I left my cats to come all the way to kenneasaw for about the 18yh year?
                      training.
                      heck parks Chastain retired this year and I was in his first instructor lead class many moons ago.
                      man all the instructors either have never worked in field or are so old they are gonna retire.
                      a few of the instructors I have known almost 20 years, the instructor for this class is an MMI grad with 5 yrs experience in the FIELD.
                      he is teaching me.
                      he has never seen a red mercury,a white mercury an inline 6 dockbuster.
                      never seen a hydroelectric shift jonnyrude nor an amplifier pack ign.
                      never seen a magneto ign system.
                      never seen a mechanical hydro shift system.
                      man I am old.

Comment

thing is they should not need to know anything about those old things.
                        Do they know what they need to, to be able to teach the classes they teach, that is the main thing

Rod what did they use to degauss the ships back when you were running around in the big pond on them?
                        heavy duty DC?

Comment

History or evolution knowledge is very handy information. It shuts up the ignorant that come up with a new idea. There are no new ideas left.

Knowing that old stuff teaches you to think harder. Often the reason why things change has nothing to do with a failure of a particular design. The wet behind the ears often don't have much a clue why some things are as they are. They often think what is now is the best.

Comment

Must admit I have not seen a red Mercury but have seen an all white one. I presume that was a red band one. Don't forget the original black ones were silver band.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              thing is they should not need to know anything about those old things.
                              Do they know what they need to, to be able to teach the classes they teach, that is the main thing

Rod what did they use to degauss the ships back when you were running around in the big pond on them?
                              heavy duty DC?
                              Don't know about ships... but we AC to degauss Aircraft sometimes after lightning strikes...

Comment

Working...
                              X