Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99Yam; Volt/Load Test

\

Last edited by boscoe99; 12-29-2018, 11:01 PM.

with no current path to ground that is about what I would expect.
    without a complete path no current flows.
    same as your garden hose, if you don't open the valve no water comes out.

Comment

RPM increase from 1218 to 1596 RPM is about a 31% increase.

No load voltage also increased about 31% from 12.38 volts to 16.23 volts.

Comment

I forget, but think that is with the high speed stater right?

I will need to look at the other thread for the charts to see if that is close to what they showed

here they are. I do not know if this is showing normal load or what?

Last edited by 99yam40; 12-30-2018, 12:42 AM.

Comment

The stator used in the latest test is from an automotive alternator. A GM 10SI model. With a permanent magnet rotor instead of the original electomagnet rotor.

I ohm'd out the two stators that I have. The GM one is .3 ohms. The PMA purpose built one is 1.2 ohms.

One I believe is wye wound and the other is delta wound.

There are so many variables to obtain whatever electrical output that ones wants, that it boggles my mind.

Comment

do you know if the charts show max output, rated load, or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              do you know if the charts show max output, rated load, or something else?
              The charts are stated to indicate open circuit voltage for the voltage curve and shorted circuit amperes for current. But then the verbiage also says something about a battery being connected. Which is not making sense to me. I sent an email to the company asking about this. Have not heard back from them.

Read it here
              http://www.windbluepower.com/Permane...d_p/dc-512.htm

Comment

I read they say the charts are voltage open circuit and the amps with shorted output.
                also saw the 512 had internal rectifier, so the output shorted would be DC.
                and I guess the open circuit voltage would be Dc also

they then mentioned when hooked up on their test rig it dumped 40 amps into a battery at 2000 RPM.

no telling how low the battery was run down before doing this test,what the battery voltage was while the 40 amps was being dumped into it, or how big of a battery it was.
                Open circuit voltage at 2000rpm shows to be about 45V in that chart for the 512.

But loaded voltage at that 40 amps would have been nice to be given.
                should be 13-15 vdc

at least that is what I got from that link
                Last edited by 99yam40; 12-30-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  But then the verbiage also says something about a battery being connected.
                  prompts me to comment re something I noticed at the start of your investigations:

"conventional wisdom" has for years warned
                  "never run your engine without a battery connected -
                  you can damage the diodes in the alternator"

hasn't seemed to be a problem in these tests....

Comment

That goes with the conventional wisdom of never storing a battery on a concrete floor.

Comment

heck I still make sure I keep a battery off the concrete
                      and they will still run down if you leave them long enough.
                      I know about the self discharge over time, but I tend to believe any moisture/acid on the top or all over will cause even more

Comment

What does the concrete do to the battery? Might be a fun thread for TOS. Can’t imagine it would generate the furor of Alloyboy’s latest thread. I can’t post it. Mod 11 would probably get me.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          What does the concrete do to the battery? Might be a fun thread for TOS. Can’t imagine it would generate the furor of Alloyboy’s latest thread. I can’t post it. Mod 11 would probably get me.
                          A long long long time ago (before I was born) it was stated to never store a battery on concrete as it would magically self discharge. Who knows, maybe over night.

Anyway, that myth has been debunked by battery maker after battery maker. Nonetheless, some yahoo on THT is going to say that it should not be done.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

A long long long time ago (before I was born) it was stated to never store a battery on concrete as it would magically self discharge. Who knows, maybe over night.

Anyway, that myth has been debunked by battery maker after battery maker. Nonetheless, some yahoo on THT is going to say that it should not be done.
                            No thread from me on the matter. Can’t hold a candle to that ETEC creation. Closing in on 450. What a bunch of babies....

Comment

Come on over and join in. Ole is loving it. So is blazer. Where are you? Just make something up and post it. Won't be any different than all of the others. lolololol

Comment

Working...
                              X