Non-Yamaha Related Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Yamaha Related Question

I ran out of sources...hoping someone on here can advise. I'm shopping around to replace my current poor shape galvanized trailer. Then it occurred to me...how/where do I dump the old one? It's in no shape to resell on the market, moreover I don't want to pay to store 2 trailers. I'd be removing the wheels/tires and winch. But where the heck do I dump what remains? Anyone have experienced with this?
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Sell it for scrap? you might get next to nothing for it, but at least it's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
      Sell it for scrap? you might get next to nothing for it, but at least it's gone.
      Yep, ^^^.

Down here, that metal cut up, put out by the street, the "metal guys", before trash day, guys pick up ANYTHING METAL. That'd be a g0ld mine for them.

A Sawzall or cutoff wheel will make that trailer SMALL pretty quick, especially with the rust (for ease of moving).
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

how bad is it.
        is it not repairable?

I replaced the axle, hubs, springs, fenders, and running boards on mine.
        cleaned up the rust on frame, treated the rust, and painted it.
        I will get some years out of it yet.
        But a aluminum trailer with torsion bar suspension would be a very good investment

to get rid of it ,like said you only need to cut it up enough for someone to load up in a truck or trailer.

have you thought about dragging your boat over to the place you are going to buy the new trailer and have them build a trailer to properly fit you boat.
        then just let them get rid of the old trailer
        Last edited by 99yam40; 12-29-2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I suppose it's repairable...needs springs, axl, fenders. The frame is shown rust. Just not sure worth the hassle of gutting it then installing new parts. I'll check out cost of all replacement parts, see what it adds up to. No doubt it will be less than a used trailer in better shape. We'll see if the cost difference is worth my hours of effort. Appreciate all the input.
          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
            I suppose it's repairable...needs springs, axl, fenders. The frame is shown rust. Just not sure worth the hassle of gutting it then installing new parts. I'll check out cost of all replacement parts, see what it adds up to. No doubt it will be less than a used trailer in better shape. We'll see if the cost difference is worth my hours of effort. Appreciate all the input.
            Post it on Craigslist, someone will snag it up REAL quick (especially if it's for free)..
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Post it on Craigslist, someone will snag it up REAL quick (especially if it's for free)..
              Oh no doubt....guess I shud have been more specific when i asked where to rid of trailer. I keep my rig in a secure storage facility. If I replace the trailer with new/used then the old one has got to go that day or else I'm paying for 2 lots.

Side note....i researched the approx cost to replace all trailer parts involving the single axle....came up to bout $500, which includes new hubs w/bearings and fenders. Considering the labor it will take to strip off the old, i dunno if it's worth the effort. Guess it depends on how long im willing to wait to find a good deal on a new/used trailer. We'll see.
              Jason

Comment

anyway you look at it to get your boat onto a new or used trailer it will have to be fitted properly to the boat.
                so you will have to have someone do that also.

while you are checking around ask what they would charge for rebuilding you trailer along with what a new one set up for your boat will coast.
                compare those prices.
                and ask if they would get rid of the old for you.
                your spending so good money there and they normally scrap plenty of metal from the work they do anyway, and have the equipment to cut it up quiickly

to get a new aluminum trailer, it is my understanding you will have to drop your boat and trailer off at their place for them to take all of the measurements to fit it correctly.
                the ones I have seen are welded brackets, so not much adjustments.
                but eliminating the metal leaf springs and going with torsion suspension sounds like the way to go

hope your trailer is good enough to get the rig over to them
                Last edited by 99yam40; 01-08-2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Well heck, if you can get all the parts you need to make your old trailer good and solid for $500 - go for it. I wouldn't even consider a new(er) trailer - you may end up having to replace things, anyways. From your initial post, it sounded like there was much more wrong with it than just simple hubs and fenders. Replacing the parts you listed won't take long. Nuts for the fenders can be cutoff if needed (pretty quick and easy to do on a trailer). Hubs are usually pretty easy, too, since there's grease in there. Given the size of your boat, I assume you don't have brakes? How bad are the fenders? Maybe just sand and paint?
                  2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                  1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

You can buy an axle with hubs attached, but probably need springs and all of the hardware to put it all together.
                    maybe the rollers and brackets and bunk boards.
                    fenders are easy
                    it all depends on what all is needed and who is going to do the work
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 01-08-2019, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      You can buy an axle with hubs attached, but probably need springs and all of the hardware to put it all together.
                      maybe the rollers and brackets and bunk boards.
                      fenders are easy
                      it all depends on what all is needed and who is going to do the work
                      Nothing hard about it. Just time and a place to put the boat. Buy good hot dip galvanized hardware. I have had good luck with Tie Down. If you have wood bunks, get the aluminum bunk brackets. The only issue I have with torsion axles is availability. If one has an issue I don’t think they can be serviced. Most likely it will have to be ordered. You can find plenty of regular trailer parts just about anywhere, anytime.

Comment

worst part of it when I have pulled apart a trailer was getting the bolts out /off of the springs and frame.
                        Sawzall or some other type of saw, or a cutting torch is needed a lot of times.

Usually cutting between the spring and the bracket on both sides of the spring is needed to keep from having to drive out the bolts

springs rust up no matter what you do to them.
                        coating them just makes dirt stick to them and then that dirt hold salt water
                        I hate springs, but have never spent the money for a aluminum trailer with torsion
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 01-08-2019, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X