Panasonic - Eticket ride I suspect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panasonic - Eticket ride I suspect

Story is that the airplane was on autoland. Unbeknownst to the control tower. They let another airplane takeoff ahead of the landing B-777. The airplane taking off disrupted the localizer signal causing the airplane to veer off course. Right at the time it was about to flare. By the time the capitano could get control it left the runway, came back on the runway and then departed the runway again. A lot of drawers were in serious need of being cleaned.

Last edited by boscoe99; 12-27-2018, 11:42 PM.

Very fortunate group of people.

Comment

Only took them 7 years to come out with the final report! I went looking for an airplane story as if it happened yesterday...lol

Pilots playing with the Nintendo **** up there in the front again. Now why would two very experienced pilots on that type go and select Autoland with the airport running under Cat 1 conditions and not tell anybody their plan?? Either they didn't understand the system or they where just being lazy, probably both,let the airplane do the work.

Airplane done what it was designed to do and followed the Localizer. Lucky he saved it and kept her upright.

They are "finally" letting approved GPS signal approaches in a bunch of Major Airports around the world. They have to install some fixed positioned GPS refence equipment at the airports.Most airplanes come with the GPS equipment installed as they are used for navigation for years now.

We retrofitted our older fleet with dual channel GPS systems over 20 years ago now and they were quite capable of flying the approach right down to 50 feet. I went on a bunch of test flights checking them out and they flew plenty of approachs with them in good weather...much better system then the old Localizers.

Comment

Hard to believe now since it was so many years ago (40?) but the company I worked for had an airplane (L-1011) that was approved for Cat III B landings. Zero Zero. Assuming the crew and the airport were approved. Three computers that all voted. If any one of the three disagreed with the other two bells and whistles would sound and the approach was terminated.

They realized that if the plane landed in zero/zero conditions and needed help from the fire department there was no way for the fire trucks to find the airplane. A good idea that quite never came to full fruition.

In those days there was very limited computer capacity. I remember that each computer could only take so much data. For a limited number of routes and airports. I understand now that a world wide data base of every possible runway and route can be added to a computer.

Keep in mind that I was coming out of general aviation where one good working VHF radio was a plus. I was a kid in the candy store.

Comment

How many devices are needed to make sure what is happening at any one time?
          which ones do you believe?

We had 3 level transmitters for level in each of the brine series producing chlorine some years ago.
          If the brine level dropped to low it would let the Hydrogen and chlorine mix and just about anything, even light could set it off.

they found out 3 level transmitters were better than one or even 2, but if anyone of them showed low they still sent an operator out to visually look to make sure which ones were correct.
          there were a few covers blown off the top of the series in the years I was out there.
          You defenatly did not want to be on top of one when she went off.

Comment

Working...
          X