Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 70 HP ( 70etlg ) Wont crank / turnover

Hello All,
    This motor is new to me and I am fairly new to these motors. I am not sure where to start since I don't have a manual other than the manual that spans a bunch of motors.

I am not sure if this is related but I looked at the 10 pin power bundle and noticed that the yellow wire has been cut on the motor side portion of the bundle. Should I be concerned about this or is this simply a wire that is not used on this model motor?

When I hooked up the battery to the motor, I get a click for the trim motor(up) but nothing down. When I turn the key, I get nothing no click no starter.

Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for this motor they wouldn't mind sharing along with any suggestions?

Thanks,

Do the VERY easy stuff first... is the battery DEFINATELY good? is the gear/throttle lever in neutral? remove and clean the battery terminals, even if they look OK, do those simple things, then get back to us and we can try a simple voltage drop test next.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
      Do the VERY easy stuff first... is the battery DEFINATELY good? is the gear/throttle lever in neutral? remove and clean the battery terminals, even if they look OK, do those simple things, then get back to us and we can try a simple voltage drop test next.
      My 2nd on this....is your emergency cut-off tab in place?....remove/clean/grease/tighten heavy wire connections on side of starter.....

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. I cleaned up all of the connections and as you said, even though they looked good, they were brittle. It now cranks but wont start. I checked spark and it seems to have a good spark so i know its fuel.

My primer bulb does not seem to be tight when I pump it so I am thinking that could be an issue.

My other concern is this is a new motor to me and I am used to mixing my own oil. How does one test the oil injection system? Does anyone have a good procedure?

Comment

easiest way is run the next six gallons on a 50/1 premix AFTER carefully marking the oil tank level.
          it should consume 1 pint in six gallons.
          if it does,run it.

Comment

Working...
          X