• Show
Clear All

• 2004 200 OX66 Issue

-2004 Sx200txrc with 485 hours
    -compression 125 on all cyl +/- 3#
    -fuel pressure 37#
    -sparks tests out to 10kv and does not drop spark
    -only no ethanol
    -new fuel lines, bulb, LP pumps, all filters including tank filter, injectors, HP pump, fuel regulator, O2 Sensor, tps and cranckshaft position sender, water temp sensor, plugs
    -all in spec: ECU, Trigger, Pulser, Charge coil, coils, vacuum lines and fuel lines, no open grounds and engine is properly grounded.

Motor will start right up and idle at 1100 RPM for 30 seconds, drops to 500 and stubles then stalls, will start right back up.
    TPS set at .50 and synched throttles (all work done to Yamaha Factory Service Manual provided by SIM)
    tested Crankshaft Position Sensor voltage at green white, green blue connector and was getting 15-18v, spec is 6v. Also if i disconnect this coupler the idle comes up to 17-1900 rpm and engine idle flawlessly. This is very puzzling to me. Im usually pretty good with finding gremlins in a targetted, planned out manner if trouble shooting but I dont know where go now. The reason I swapped out the any components is because of the specs were off per the manual, not scattergunning but they remain unchanged with new oem parts. Im baffled...

Just to be sure I tested the ignition again per the manual. When I tested the HP Fuel Pump Resistor I got a reading of 7ohm. Spec per manual is 5.3-5.7ohm. Is it safe to assume this is the issue? Testing sequence ends here before moving to next system. If there is something else I should check so I can elminate any other issues and get this saga over! Lol. Thanks

Comment

Is .5v spec for TPS?
      on resister testing did you take into account the resistance of the meter leads?

Comment

0.48 ~ 0.52 volts is the specification for the TPS output voltage with the throttle closed.

Not sure what the OP's comments are about with respect to the crank position sensor (CPS). He reports that his measurements exceed the minimum voltage values.

Disconnecting a sensor can set a code and cause the motor to run at a fast idle. Completely normal.

Comment

TPS exactly at .5
          I tested the meter leads by holding them to each other and got 0.0 I may be testing the leads wrong though. This is how I was shown to do it. Please let me know how to properly test them.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            0.48 ~ 0.52 volts is the specification for the TPS output voltage with the throttle closed.

Not sure what the OP's comments are about with respect to the crank position sensor (CPS). He reports that his measurements exceed the minimum voltage values.

Disconnecting a sensor can set a code and cause the motor to run at a fast idle. Completely normal.
            Gotcha and thats what it is doing, idling up when CPS disconnected. TPS at exactly .5

Comment

I have no ideas

Comment

Hooked up mm to HP fuel pump started engine got 12.75-13v while unning and maintened that reading until engine stalled. Not sure if the resistor is the issue... also kept 37psi on fuel pressure from key on thru stall

Comment

Ok energized th HP fuel pump with on switch not running.

+ post on pump to -post on pump gets 0v after pump stops running

+ post to block 12v
                  - post to block 12v

shouldnt the -post to block be 0v ? Im thinking open ground?

Comment

Originally posted by Benwa Balls View Post
                    Ok energized th HP fuel pump with on switch not running.

+ post on pump to -post on pump gets 0v after pump stops running

+ post to block 12v
                    - post to block 12v

shouldnt the -post to block be 0v ? Im thinking open ground?
                    If the pump is not operating, but the key is on (12 volts to the + post) then you will see 12 volts on the - post to ground. You are measuring voltage through the pump. If there was an open ground you would not measure any voltage.

Comment

ecu should control the pump by closing the ground.
                      with the ECU opening the ground the pump will stop running and you will read 12+ on both sides of the pump

Comment

below about 1200 RPM the resistor is used to slow the pump down.
                        above about 1200 and the circuit is direct to ground.
                        should draw less than about 6 amps.
                        as you have seen if any sensor is unplugged ign timing sets at 7*BTDC and causes a high idle.
                        depending on the sensor top speed may or may not be reached.
                        10 Kv is rather high,have you checked the plug cap resistance?
                        TPS is set with the shutters FULLY closed NOT at idle.
                        post the full model # and we can tell you more about how the system works.

Comment

Thank you for the help and info so far.
                          I dont always use the correct terminology, on the TPS I followed the factory manual by removing the throttle synchronizer rod (probably the wrong terminology!) from the #1 throttle cam and made sure the throttle was completely closed then using a multi-meter and the engine in the on position but not running. I measured the ohm between the pink and orange wires (I have a test connector). It was .61 so I adjusted to .50 which took way more time then I thought it would, the sensor is very sensitive!

model # is SX200TXRC thats the only model # on the motor. Serial is 6G6 X 1012040 P, date of manufacture is Oct 2003

tested the plug cap ohm 1-5.52, 2-5.46, 3-4.86, 4-5.32, 5-5.73, 6-4.91

tested the HP pump with + lead on positive post and - lead on ground post. Turned motor to the on position but did not start engine. Amp draw was 2.3amp and this gradually fell to 0.0amps by the last second pump was cycling up. Fuel pressure went to 37#

i forgot to mention I bench tested the HP Pump relay by giving 12v to the yellow lead and grounding the black lead. (I did hear the relay click) I tested the continuity across the red/yellow stripe wire and red wire and got 0.0ohm.

Inspected the MAP sensor and it was clean, like new, unfortunately my manual doesnt give instructions, that I can find, on how to test it.

Comment

Did you follow the manual precisely? What is referred to as a link and sync?

The TPS value of 0.048 ~ 0.050 is with the throttle valves fully closed. The throttle valves are not normally fully closed in operation. After verifying the TPS setting the throttles are reset to be somewhat open.

Comment

Yes. To be sure, I went back out and did the link and sync again step by step from the factory manual and have the same result, wont idle after initial warm up and TPS at exactly .50

Comment

Working...
                              X