Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt Hinge Grease Point

Hi,
    I know this is going to be a dumb question but .... can't figure out where to grease the tilt hinge on my 15hp Yamaha.

I've uploaded a diagram from the service manual showing the grease points. Are the grease nipples supposed to be where the 2 small holes are, below the screws?

Cheers

Looks like someone replaced the 2 grease zerks with a couple of screws....get some screw In zerks, remove the 2 screws and put the zerks in there where they're supposed to be....and then pump some grease in each one now and then.....

Comment

Just a guess...

My F25 has no zerks there either. I need to use a needle nose adapter in a small hole on either side.
      Perhaps the small holes beneath the philips screws are your grease points?
      Last edited by kdgrills; 11-17-2018, 08:18 PM. Reason: Edit to add F25 grease points

Comment

The motor does not come with zerk fittings at the tilt hinge. It comes with two screws. Remove screws, add grease, reinstall screws.

Let the parts catalog be your friend.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. So I've managed to apply enough grease in the screw holes that boscoe suggested, to the point where a small amount of grease is coming out the side of the bracket. A bit slow going without the proper applicator. What's the attachment you've got pictured in your post, boscoe? It looks similar to the needle nose adaptor kdgrills mentioned, but with a rubber head.

Also, any tips for removing the old, perished grease. Would it be worthwhile getting some WD40 in there to loosen it up, or will getting some new grease in there and working it in be enough to shift it?

Cheers

Comment

Rubber tipped grease gun nozzle. Having warm weather might help. Maybe trim the motor to different positions while applying grease.

Comment

Careful use of a heat gun on the pivot shaft between the mount brackets to soften the old grease up. Heat the center part of the exposed shaft, where it is quite rusty, and let the heat conduct outwards through the joint. Not to much heat as there are plastic bushings in there.

Comment

Wonder why Yamaha chose not to have grease zerks in these locations that obviously require greasing?

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                  Wonder why Yamaha chose not to have grease zerks in these locations that obviously require greasing?
                  I think I'd be drilling and then inserting zerk fittings in those bolts.

Then, no R&R, just hook up a grease gun...
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                    Might be cost. They sell the screws for less than a zerk fitting. Presumably the screw costs them less.

Does it really matter if one wants to grease the motor? Either configuration should work.

On the other hand, I dareguess that the majority of motor owners don't bother greasing their motors anyway. Might not matter to them either way.

Comment

Drive in zerks are cheap

Comment

Drive in grease zerks are cheap...but are crap. Difficult to get out when they get snapped off. They are very hard material, at least aircraft ones, they tend to spin when trying to drill them out...need cobalt drill bits.
                        Screw in type are the way to go.

Comment

y will you snap them off?

Comment

No, not intentionally, but i have broken off a few over the years. When you have to grease probably almost a 100 zerks on a aircraft landing gear and some are very difficult to get at...some are bound to get broken off over time. The gear is greased quite often...so broken nipples to be drilled out.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                              No, not intentionally, but i have broken off a few over the years. When you have to grease probably almost a 100 zerks on a aircraft landing gear and some are very difficult to get at...some are bound to get broken off over time. The gear is greased quite often...so broken nipples to be drilled out.
                              Some of those fittings are so difficult to get to and it results in the grease gun putting a side load on the fitting. Being used so frequently they fatigue and become prone to breaking.

What is the greasing frequency?

Comment

Working...
                              X