Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone tell me what year model is this motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone tell me what year model is this motor?

Last week I bought a 8hp Yamaha, was told it’s a 2012 model, they told me after 2006 yamaha don’t put the year tag on motor. ( see the pictures)
    Today I took apart the carb, it’s dirty and needs to be rebuild, I am going to order the kits, but have no idea what year is it, I check the the 8SN, it’s a 1984 model, now I am really mad since it’s way off wha they told me (2012). But when I check 8CM it may be a 2005 since it was made from Japan. I do have a 2006 same motor, it looks the same, except the throttle, the unknown year motor has a limited range when it starts, if put too much throttle over the start line, it won’t let me pull, it stucked.
    if someone can tell me what year is this motor, will be really appropriated!
    thank you!

Penny

Looks to me to be a 1984 model year motor. Normally there would be a tag on the other side of the motor that gives the month and year of manufacture. Even today they still use that tag.

Definitely not a 2005 model year motor. That would be an 8MSHD if sold here in the USA.

If you advance the throttle too much the start in gear mechanism may be kicking in. That is the way my 1981 Mercury 25 HP two stroke worked. Prevents the motor from being started at high power.

Comment

Penny,

Where are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        Penny,

Where are you located?
        I am at WA Tacoma area

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Looks to me to be a 1984 model year motor. Normally there would be a tag on the other side of the motor that gives the month and year of manufacture. Even today they still use that tag.

Definitely not a 2005 model year motor. That would be an 8MSHD if sold here in the USA.

If you advance the throttle too much the start in gear mechanism may be kicking in. That is the way my 1981 Mercury 25 HP two stroke worked. Prevents the motor from being started at high power.
          Thank you! Now I am really upset, paying for 2012, get a 1984 :-(

Comment

That's the problem with small capacity motors. In six years could be worn out used on a Tinny. Could also be hardly used in twenty four years if it was bought as a kicker motor on a larger boat and may have been stored away for sometime with the boat and in any case may have not seen use at every outing.

Comment

If you have paperwork showing you bought a 2012 motor, return it for a full refund or a discount for the age difference.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                If you have paperwork showing you bought a 2012 motor, return it for a full refund or a discount for the age difference.
                Unfortunately, I bought it from offer up, I don’t have the paper, just wondering if I can use it’s power head for my 2006 motor? Are they compatible?

Comment

Originally posted by Knotstrait View Post

Unfortunately, I bought it from offer up, I don’t have the paper, just wondering if I can use it’s power head for my 2006 motor? Are they compatible?
                  Sorry, that question is for someone more knowledgeable than me. I'd be surprised if it could be... but that is just a wild guess.

What is that offer thing? Is that like Craigslist?

When you say "it looks the same as your 2006"... are you sure about that? I Googled for images of a 2006 and the cowling looks completely (very obvious) different... as expected, the newer one has a more rounded shape to it. Maybe you're "Knot Strait" on the model year of your current motor and your current motor is actually much older?
                  2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                  1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

It sounds to me you bought a motor thinking it the same as yours and I am guessing from reading again, yours is seized.
                    Why change the powerhead?, is the lower unit broken on your latest (1984/2012? acquisition?

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post

Sorry, that question is for someone more knowledgeable than me. I'd be surprised if it could be... but that is just a wild guess.

What is that offer thing? Is that like Craigslist?

When you say "it looks the same as your 2006"... are you sure about that? I Googled for images of a 2006 and the cowling looks completely (very obvious) different... as expected, the newer one has a more rounded shape to it. Maybe you're "Knot Strait" on the model year of your current motor and your current motor is actually much older?
                      Offer up is an app for people sell things, yes, it just like Craig’s list!
                      I am pretty sure about my 2006 motor, because it has a tag 01/06 on it, I will post a picture of it, the cowling color and the graphic is different, but the shape is alike, I will do a comparison tomorrow. The engine under cowling is almost the same!

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                        It sounds to me you bought a motor thinking it the same as yours and I am guessing from reading again, yours is seized.
                        Why change the powerhead?, is the lower unit broken on your latest (1984/2012? acquisition?
                        Yes, mine was seized 3times, this last time I didn’t use any oil to free it, just tried the bar it got loosened, but has the metal squeak noise, I was told to open the power head check what is going wrong, since I am not a mechanic, I am afraid I cannot put it back correctly! The latest motor(1984/2012?)lower unit seems ok, I didn’t open it, but the oil was really milky, should I open it to check it out? I haven’t had a chance to test run it, because it won’t idle, that’s why I need to rebuild the carb and fuel pump. But without knowing what year is it, I can’t order the replacement kit!
                        Last edited by Knotstrait; 11-13-2018, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Milky oil means water has got into the lower unit. So you have something else to fix. Two broken don't make one good one, even if they were interchangeable.
                          The lower unit probably needs all the seals replaced that can be done by someone who knows what they are doing, the difficulty being the prop carrier to get the seals out and new back in. There could also be a leak around this carrier, requiring cleaning from inevitable corrosion and new O rings, could be difficult to get apart.

Notwithstanding that you don't have identification, seals could be sourced by identification of the seals measurements so all is not lost, if you get someone to go in "blind".

So I would look at your "2006." Leg, if the oil is not milky, and if it looks like it will transplant across. The only way to know is pulling both lower legs off and see. Good luck with that.

Now you might be getting yourself deeper in Sh.... trying to do that, and your basket cases will get fuller and fuller, and their worth diminishing rapidly. You will need to assess the worth in doing that, and maybe "sell" your two, complete but buggered, for some recompense towards a better in condition one.

Comment

Originally posted by Knotstrait View Post

Take a look at the base gaskets for the 1984 model motor and a 2006 model motor. Are they they same? If so, the chances are favourable that the blocks may be interchangeable.

Comment

Working...
                            X