Update #1: Significant Fuel Consumption Difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    why would anyone run a twin engine boat on one motor at WOT?
    I guess it has been thought by almost everyone at some point contemplating having dual engines,
    One should be able to run the boat on one engine, at full power and maximum possible speed, in the event one fails; an additional (darn good one) safety factor.
    But as is always pointed out, the prop for dual would not allow either one to do so.
    The prudent owner would thus have a set of appropriately tested alternative props to use in this situation.
    One would also need appropriate means to be able to swap props outboard and perhaps at sea.

Comment

yep those that know, will make it back to port after many hours without hurting the good motor
      some will try running on plane.

out on the water it could be difficult to swap props unless it is dead calm and someone likes to swim with the sharks

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        yep those that know, will make it back to port after many hours without hurting the good motor
        some will try running on plane.

out on the water it could be difficult to swap props unless it is dead calm and someone likes to swim with the sharks
        Hard enough to swim back there, hold on with one hand, and unwrap 30 yards of fishing line from the prop. All the while, the dumbass responsible, is standing at the back of the boat still holding the rod.

Imagine cotter pin and nut removal, removing 13lb prop and not dropping a damn thing. And then you are only halfway completed.

Comment

what I am trying to say is you can run both up,take a screen shot or a recording,stop and switch the laptop to the other motor. run them up again and repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Hard enough to swim back there, hold on with one hand, and unwrap 30 yards of fishing line from the prop. All the while, the dumbass responsible, is standing at the back of the boat still holding the rod.

Imagine cotter pin and nut removal, removing 13lb prop and not dropping a damn thing. And then you are only halfway completed.
            I was thinking dual engined boats by definition are larger boats, so if a "gang plank" is slipped up the sides, or such, the extra human weight could be accommodated.
            Having some securing harness on a fully tilted up engine, and a proper net or bag hung across underneath from it to hold tools or catch components, would be far safer than any floating in the water behind attempts.
            I've been looking for simple solutions to get to the back of my boat whilst it is attached to my jetty, to do for example, the simplest tasks like undoing the bung (raised above water on float) let alone water pump etc without it having huge degrees of difficulties. Working on anything on the outside, I find you need to be fully "bonded" with the boat. I hate to have to always require to pull the boat out of the water.

Comment

Sharks aren’t too terribly worrisome.
              Unless you live in Australia....little bigger and more frequent there. Oh and the box jellies too.

Last edited by pstephens46; 11-12-2018, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                what I am trying to say is you can run both up,take a screen shot or a recording,stop and switch the laptop to the other motor. run them up again and repeat.
                Too bad that YDIS does not have the capability to display data from multiple motors at the same time. Maybe flagging motors when they are not within a certain range of each other. Say they are at the same RPM and manifold pressure but the TPS or fuel flow values don't agree as maybe they might.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  Sharks aren’t too terribly worrisome.
                  Unless you live in Australia....little bigger and more frequent there. Oh and the box jellies too.
                  They are becoming a bit worrisome here of late. They usually take unsuspecting tourists, but are getting a few locals.

However in the tropics, when the odd tourist asks at a lagoon or beach whether it is safe from sharks to swim, they are usually assured that there are none.

Now, Australians can be of few words. If you get one willing to talk a bit more he would probably say that there used to be sharks there, but the crocodiles cleaned them out.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

They are becoming a bit worrisome here of late. They usually take unsuspecting tourists, but are getting a few locals.

However in the tropics, when the odd tourist asks at a lagoon or beach whether it is safe from sharks to swim, they are usually assured that there are none.

Now, Australians can be of few words. If you get one willing to talk a bit more he would probably say that there used to be sharks there, but the crocodiles cleaned them out.
                    The tourists might want to be on the look out for Mr. Cocodrillo.

Comment

it is simple.
                      what to crocs eat? meat.
                      what do sharks eat? meat.
                      what am I made of? meat.
                      solution? stay out of the water.
                      if I am swimming in saltwater there has been a serious issue with da boat.
                      if I am laying on the beach in the sun? I have had a few to many and please drag my tail into the shade.

Comment

Working...
                      X