Best way to store fuel over winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to store fuel over winter

Hi all, I’ve always had problems when storing my fuel over the winter months. I used stabil and filled my 6 gallon tank up to the top. Then when I would go start her up in the spring there would be water buildup. So last year I ran the engine empty and had no problems when spring came around. By running the engine dry and keeping it empty over the winter months, there’s no harm in doing it this way right? Also same goes with all smal engine type machines like snowblowers and lawnmowers? Thanks all

What kind of Stabil - blue or red? Need to use blue if you are using ethanol-laced fuel. With larger, built-in tanks, it's usually impractical to empty them so I treat them with Startron (my additive of choice) and have never had a fuel issue. Been doing it that way for 15 years. I actually don't even drain small engines - never had an issue with those, either.

For you, with a little portable tank - just pour it into your car and store the tank away (empty the fuel line, too). Can't go wrong by emptying it. Same for the engine - certainly can't go wrong by running it dry. You don't mention if you have a 2-stroke, though - don't try to keep running it once it goes dry - you won't have lubricating oil. Don't forget to fog, as well (including small engines).

To sum up... while I have never needed to run engines dry, you can't go wrong by doing it.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

depends on what motors you are talking about.
      the yam carbs I have seen will not suck all of the fuel out of the carb bowls.

also multi carb motors not all carbs run out of fuel at the same time.
      top carbs will run out 1st, leaving more fuel in the lower ones when it dies and the top cylinders will be running lean on fuel and oil.

what is left will evaperate and leave residue.
      drain all you can out of carbs and lines.
      even the pump will have left over fuel in it and leave residue that can come loose and plug up carbs

Comment

From personal experience, "Gas Shok" will easily keep your fuel fresh over the winter.

For the boat, I use K100 which has kept fuel fresh WELL over 1.5 years, (Large tank, 4 stroke economy)

As noted, carbs, even run dry leaves a small amount of fuel in the bowl and can vanish shut jets close to the bottom. Pull the carb drains (in the bottom of the float bowl)
        I work on small engines all the time, 90% of my business is varnish in the bowl and jets. I use a Sonic cleaner for the really bad carbs.

I run the GS in ALL my gas engines, (cage included), K100 in the boat.

https://k-100.com/product-category/k100-mg/

https://www.usafuelservice.com/how-gas-shok-works/

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          I run the GS in ALL my gas engines, (cage included), K100 in the boat.
          what does cage refer to?

Comment

Another vote here for draining the carbs. I failed to mention that part. If running an engine dry, letting the engine die on it's on is only part of the solution - getting rid of the remaining gas in the bowl is just as important.

And... to clarify... I said "I don't even drain small engines". That's not entirely true. If it's an engine that I don't anticipate using again next year (meaning, not sure when I will use it again), I do drain the bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

what does cage refer to?
              "Cage", in the motorcycle world is a car / truck, something folks travel in (enclosed) that don't tend to see motorcycles on the road.

My "cage" is a Four Runner
              Scott

Comment

I have a 2003 Yamaha 2 stroke 130.has 2 carbs 4 bowls.i have used the blue stabil and then last year I think I used the red marine stabil. Ok so if I run it dry and there is still fuel in the bowl how do I get the remaining fuel out of it?i also only have ethanol fuel around me. Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha3535 View Post
                  I have a 2003 Yamaha 2 stroke 130.has 2 carbs 4 bowls.i have used the blue stabil and then last year I think I used the red marine stabil. Ok so if I run it dry and there is still fuel in the bowl how do I get the remaining fuel out of it?i also only have ethanol fuel around me. Thanks guys
                  Remove part #15 (drain plugs) on each side, of each carberator : https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...lrb/carburetor

I'd let it evaporate out for awhile or a spritz of low PSI compressed air.

BTW, part # 12 is you main jet
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-10-2018, 07:28 AM.
                  Scott

Comment

The red stabil is fine for fuel stabilization, but it doesn't address any possible ethanol/water issues. Best bet is to just stop using the red stuff all together.

Comment

it is my understanding the Red contains ethanol so adding it to E fuel makes it even worse

Comment

The red stabil was garbage, it would dry up in a carb and turn into red sand and do the plugging.

Comment

Working...
                        X