Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 pro 50 overheat

I’ve a 1995 pro 50
    the motor overheats @ idle and often times intermittently.ive replaced the water pump,rannit with a thermostat and with out one.it will not get hit on the flush kit.ive taken the cylinder head apart and it was clean - no blockage

I’m at a loss here

suggestions ?

help !

Originally posted by Freaky1974 View Post
    I’ve a 1995 pro 50
    the motor overheats @ idle and often times intermittently.ive replaced the water pump,rannit with a thermostat and with out one.it will not get hit on the flush kit.ive taken the cylinder head apart and it was clean - no blockage

I’m at a loss here

suggestions ?

help !
    might want to explain some on what you mean by it will not get hit on the flush kit

Comment

Running the motor on the flush kit - ear muffs- the motor won’t get hot

Comment

will it get hot when idling while in the water or just running at higher RPMs?
        running the motor on the muffs is not putting a load on the motor.

Comment

It seems to just be at idle and a low rpm.
          running the boat, in the water, the alarm will go off. I verified the motor is hot. It seems like the water pressure is actually dropping,once the motor warms up.
          Ran it for 1/2hr,@ 3,000/3200rpm no problems
          slowed down to no wake speed and the over temp alarm went off

Comment

Was all the vanes on the old impeller? If not you may want to pull off the exhaust cover and take a peak.
            If some vanes were missing take the water pick up screens of the gear case and see if any are in there.
            Did you install a complete water pump kit?

Comment

Nope, no lost vanes on the impeller. Yamaha w/pump kit. Exhaust plate is great.

Comment

Pull the gear case off and start over, make sure you have the impeller going the {RITE}
                direction.

Comment

sounds like not enough water is getting to the power head at low RPM.
                  either the pump is not pumping as it should, or too much is leaking out before it gets up into the power head.

make sure the grommets sealing water tube are in proper placement and all gaskets and o rings in kit are in place
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 11-05-2018, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Not sure what model number a Pro 50 is? P50?
                    If so, there are 4 parts between the water tube and top of water pump housing. You can use grease to hold the housing oring in place during assembly. I couldn’t get mine to stay in place otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                    X