Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracket Anode Replacement--Broken Bolts

Hey boys, been a while.

Bracket anode wore out prompting me to buy new. Snapped off the head of 1 of the 4 bolts. So the old anode is still in place till i figure out how to remove whats left of the bolt without damaging the brackets threaded hole. Suggestions?
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Pictures Jason...see what you got going on.

"A picture is worth a thousand words!"

Comment

I'm not completely following -
      did the other 3 bolts come out OK - but the anode is still "stuck" on there?

or is it that the first one you tried broke - and you don't know yet what will happen with the others?

if the bolts are all out / heads sheared off, and the anode is still "on"
      it can only be held by "salt"/corrosion - just pry it off
      you can't attempt to deal with the "stump" until you remove the old anode

"at the end of the day" - the anode will still work just as well
      and will not fall off - with just three of those bolts
      (or even only one on each side)
      so you could defer dealing with one broken bolt

this was my situation a while back (but I got them both out)

Comment

Since it's just the head, you got lucky. You still have the shaft to grab onto. You "most likely" can work this out with patient use of PB Blaster (a couple days of soaking) and maybe some heat.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I don't have pics at this time, sorry. What initially caught my attention was half of the anode was missing. After inspecting I see that the 2 screws on the missing half are gone...but the female threaded holes are clear. So I've got half an anode secured by the remaining 2 screws. I was able to turn 1 out no prob. The remaining screw head twisted off, leaving the shank inside the anode and still secured to the bracket. When asking a yam mechanic im friendly with he suggested force off the anode, clean up the anode mounting space, line up the new anode so the holes are just outside of the brackets holes, and drill out 4 new threaded holes. Which sounds about right if when removing the old anode and shank, the shank doesn't come out of threaded hole. In which case that hole wouldn't be good to receive new screw.
          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
            he suggested force off the anode, clean up the anode mounting space, line up the new anode so the holes are just outside of the brackets holes, and drill out 4 new threaded holes.
            I'm skeptical about successfully making "four new holes" with the brackets bolted to the transom -
            very little "real estate"
            and little clearance for a drill chuck / body for the "inner" bolts

as Dennis suggests, you may be able to work the stump out

if not, IMO you will be fine with just three bolts

(some makes/models are designed with only two bolts for the anode in that location)

Comment

My opinion... I definitely wouldn't mess with drilling four new holes. I agree with the sentiments above that 3 bolts are plenty. Do make sure to clean out the remaining holes well - possibly with a thread chaser.

To work stud out... double nut or weld a nut to the end, if vice grips aren't cutting it.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Luckily the anode is in such poor condition....a few light raps with hammer and blunt driver loosened the anode from the bolt shank. Worked off the anode then backed out what's left of the shank with pliers. So far so good. Ordered a new set of bolts. So we'll see if there is damage to the brackets female threading when I screw in new bolts. Thanks for all the responses!!
                Jason

Comment

as was said already, get the proper tap and chase the threads before running the new bolts in

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    get the proper tap
                    M6 x 1.0

(and "chasing" means gently cleaning out existing threads - not cutting new)

Comment

Got it....thank you!
                      Jason

Comment

WD40 works good for a cutting fluid when tapping/chasing holes in aluminum.

Comment

Working...
                        X