Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help with a Yamaha 6hp 2 stroke

Hi,

I have recently got hold of an old Yamaha 6hp 2 stroke outboard. Unfortunately I cannot for life of me figure out exactly which model/year it is. The whole unit has been poorly sprayed, which means some of the stickers/decals aren't really readable.

Looking at another thread on here I did find a black sticker with a white box stuck to the block 7 digits long so that could be it.

1) Is there a database anywhere I type the 7 digits into to check? Most things I've seen want a sequence of letters and numbers.

2) I have the PDF manual for this, and also 8hp. Both manuals reference the 'Trim rod' for setting the trim. I have the holes but I don't have the rod, and looking at the parts fiche for both the 6 and 8hp 2 strokes from 86 and into the 90s, I cannot see any trim rod in there for either model.

3) Finally, I noticed that the steering is a bit stiff. I have greased it up using the two nipples, and loosened the steering friction adjuster, but it's still not as light to steer as I like. Could be as it's a much heavier motor than I'm used to (I usually run a 2.5), but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Try to spray some carb-brake cleaner on a rag and wipe on where the primary id is supposed to be but
    wipe gently.

Comment

What are the seven numbers that are on the block?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        What are the seven numbers that are on the block?
        1000783 on the circular sticker

Comment

boscoe will get it.

Comment

Looks to be an early 1990's model.

Here in the USA a 6 HP two stroke was offered from 1986 thru 2000.

Item 20 in this illustration is shown as the tilt rod assembly. Called a tilt pin in the service manual.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...mlht/bracket-1

Comment

Perhaps you could take a picture of the engine that would help narrow it down a bit.

Comment

if the serial # does not tell what year, I kind of doubt a pic will help much more

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  if the serial # does not tell what year, I kind of doubt a pic will help much more
                  If you have seen on 6 HP two stroke you have seen them all.

If you have seen one set of booobs, you are gonna want to see them all.

Comment

I don't know for sure, but I think I have seen some I would not want to look at again if I had a choice.
                    but there are some I would like to see every day

we are talking about motors here right?

Comment

Be careful what you wish for. This might count as one of those you don't want to look at again

Needs a good sanding down and painting, it had been in a shed for a few years.

There is a number on the carb that reads 6H801 and a number etched into the cylinder heads reading 6N000.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        I don't know for sure, but I think I have seen some I would not want to look at again if I had a choice.
                        but there are some I would like to see every day

we are talking about motors here right?
                        Ron White from Texas has the joke about the *****.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedefieslife View Post
                          Be careful what you wish for. This might count as one of those you don't want to look at again

Needs a good sanding down and painting, it had been in a shed for a few years.

There is a number on the carb that reads 6H801 and a number etched into the cylinder heads reading 6N000.
                          Are you sure that it is an 8 and not a 6? If a 6, followed by H6 is the prefix for a 6HP two stroke.
                          https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha/6H6-14301-00-00

Look at the CDI for any markings. All USA 6 HP two strokes used a 696-85540-11-00 CDI. Should be marked with 696 XX.

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha/696-85540-11-00

You should now have what you need to order replacement parts or to view the parts catalogs for assistance in repairs, if needed.

Comment

Yes on the carb it is definitely 6H8.

The CDI reads 696-11.

I noticed that the spark plugs are NGK BR6HS-10. I thought the manual calls for BR7HS-10?

As to the grease on the steering, This is new grease but I didn't clean it out using the rag method as mentioned first. I just attached the grease gun and squeezed until I saw grease coming out. Will clean it up and try again.

Comment

Gave it shot cleaning the grease out with some petrol. It didn't do a fat lot. I re-greased and turned the tiller back and forth a while. It's not much better, but I don't know how light the steering should be. My 2.5hp Mariner for example I can push easily full lock either side with my little finger (when it's stationary mounted on a bracket) The Yamaha takes a whole hand to turn, and seems to have some initial inertia. It's not the weight, as I've got it lying on the floor and I'm only turning the mounting bracket.

Comment

Working...
                              X