Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing oil injection pump from keihin to mikuni

Hi guys,

I'm about to order a mikuni pump for my 1987 Yamaha Pro V 150. Is this the right one? I feel like the part number is for the old pump but it looks like the new pump. Can someone confirm for me?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3F0AA...db/s-l1600.jpg

I'm certain mine is the older keihin one tends to have oil leaking issues. Mine definitely says keihin and leaks oil. I wonder if the part number changed after they made the complete switch to Mikuni.

Anyhow, can anyone give me tips on how to install? How do I prevent oil for leaking everywhere? Do I need to drain the oil? Is it as simple as plug and play?

Thanks guys.

Drain the main oil tank by removing the sight sump. When removing the oil hoses just use shop rags or paper towels to catch any residual oil. Oil spillage from the pump itself will be minimal.

A 150 Yamaha uses kit number 6G5-W1320-00-00. That appears to be the kit number that is on the box label in your photograph. The part number for the new Mikuni oil pump in the kit is 6R3-13200-09-00.

The install procedure should be in the manual. It is not just plug and play. A bushing is to be pressed into the oil pump shaft hole. A tool is provided in the kit for this.

See if the supplier will scan the installation instructions as a pdf and send them to you via email in advance of your order.

Comment

So the pump in the picture isn’t Mikuni? Because it’s definitely not the keihin pump I have right now. My question is if the pump in the picture is the mikuni pump. Based on pictures from other sites it seems like it. Can anyone confirm?

Comment

The purpose of the kit is to replace the Keihin pump with a Mikuni pump. Why wouldn't the kit have the Mikuni pump in it?

Comment

Because if you look at Crowley Marine's diagram, they have 6G5-W1320-00-00 as the kit with the old pump. In the picture I sent they have 6G5-W1320-00-00 labeled on the box. So you would think okay the picture has the old pump. But the actual pump in the picture looks like 6R3-13200-09-00. So I just wanted verification that the pump in the picture is Mikuni pump.

Here is Crowley's diagram:
          https://www.crowleymarine.com/yp/HF6...0lh-1987-150hp
          Last edited by th365thli; 10-26-2018, 02:46 AM.

Comment

why not ask the people you are trying to buy from , no telling what all you will get in that dirty old box.

or look to buy from this web site and then ask them to be sure you are getting the new one

Comment

With respect to a Yamaha diagram of the oil pump system Yamaha very rarely updates diagrams. What any part in a diagram looks like is mostly irrelevant.

The kit included the new Mikuni pump when Yamaha sent it to the dealer. I have no reason to suspect the dealer of removing the new pump from the kit so as to insert the old pump.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                why not ask the people you are trying to buy from , no telling what all you will get in that dirty old box.

or look to buy from this web site and then ask them to be sure you are getting the new one
                I think he is trying to use a Yamaha diagram to determine the brand of the pump. Big mistake.

The kit will have a list of parts. In that list will be the part number for the new Mikuni pump. With the installation of the new bushing into the motor the old Keihin pump won't even be usable.

Comment

Why are you considering buying the kit from a competitor of boats.net, the site that hosts this forum?

https://www.boats.net/search?q=6G5-W1320-00-00

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    With respect to a Yamaha diagram of the oil pump system Yamaha very rarely updates diagrams. What any part in a diagram looks like is mostly irrelevant.

The kit included the new Mikuni pump when Yamaha sent it to the dealer. I have no reason to suspect the dealer of removing the new pump from the kit so as to insert the old pump.
                    Thank you, that's all I wanted to know. I did not know that all the pumps in circulation now are Mikuni. Some of us are new to this and don't have a lot of knowledge, hence the questions. What might seem obvious to you guys isn't for us. How is a newbie supposed to know Yamaha parts diagrams can be inaccurate? Or that Keihin pumps are out of circulation?

Also, nowhere on this site is it obvious that you guys are hosted by boats.net. I've been using Crowley's and I had no reason to click on the "Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts" tab when I already had another page open. I will take a look at your link.

Comment

Buy yamaha outboard parts at the top sunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                        Buy yamaha outboard parts at the top sunshine.
                        Read my reply again sunshine.

Comment

Get a grip.

Comment

Working...
                          X