Fuel Pump update ki 69j 244b0-09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marchmadness View Post
    Yamaha said the kit is to be used if you need to replace the lift pump. That the old style will be obsolete and is not intended to fix anything. I will try to see if I can get the rest of the instructions.
    That is consistent with my understanding of what the kit is about.

For the price of the kit, if it were my motor I would install a form/fit/function aftermarket pump that is rated for a ten amp fuse.

Comment

I would guess that Yamaha was looking to eliminate the older style pump so to keep you buying there products they needed to provide the parts to fit. Unless they don’t want to say that this was designed to Fix a problem.

Comment

Apparently it’’s all a GD puzzle. Thanks Yamaha.
        Last edited by pstephens46; 10-25-2018, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I would guess that Yamaha was looking to eliminate the older style pump so to keep you buying there products they needed to provide the parts to fit. Unless they don’t want to say that this was designed to Fix a problem.
          When Yamaha updates a part number that is their way of saying that it was done to fix a particular problem. Otherwise, the part number would not have changed. Many companies do this.

Many F200/F225 drivers have reported that the five amp fuse keeps blowing with the original pump. A new pump part number and a higher capacity fuse just might be the cure needed for that particular problem.

My dad put a penny in the fuse holder to solve a problem that we had at our house with the fuse blowing prematurely.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
            Apparently it’’s all a GD puzzle. Thanks Yamaha.
            All of Yamaha data and information is written with the view that a trained and knowledgeable Yamaha mechanic will be servicing the motor. If the mechanic does not understand he can call Yamaha for advice and consultation. It would seem that in Japan there are not as many DIY'rs as there are here in the states.

Comment

So you would think this was introduced to deal with the 5 amp fuse blowing? Maybe a stronger pump? All the new plumbing would suggest to me that the pump size changed so the need to "update"

Comment

So you would think this was introduced to deal with the 5 amp fuse blowing? Maybe a stronger pump? All the new plumbing would suggest to me that the pump size changed so the need to "update"
                That is my guess. But it just that, a guess. I will try to find out more.

Tens of thousands of F200's/F225's are all working just fine. The vapor lock issue was overcome years ago. Apart from random isolated issues (check valves come to mind) the only concern that I can recall of any magnitude had to do with the 5 amp fuse blowing for no apparent reason.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

That is my guess. But it just that, a guess. I will try to find out more.

Tens of thousands of F200's/F225's are all working just fine. The vapor lock issue was overcome years ago. Apart from random isolated issues (check valves come to mind) the only concern that I can recall of any magnitude had to do with the 5 amp fuse blowing for no apparent reason.
                  Wait for it....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Wait for it....
                    how long are we suppose to just sit here and wait?

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but sharing my experience. This "kit", designed for a 5 amp circuit, comes with two 10 amp fuses and a Walbro pump (more on that later) that clearly is stamped with "20 AMP FUSE REQUIRED" right on the pump. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I question installing a pump that could potentially draw 20 amps (if you follow the admonition on the pump) through a 5 amp circuit. The thin wires designed for the 5 amp draw will (in my mind) overheat with the additional amperage draw. (Can you say "engine fire"?) I called Yamaha Outboard technical support with that same question and was told that the installation was perfectly safe. (At least there is a record with Yami Tech Support.)
                      Now about that Walbro pump. Turns out that the pump in the "kit" is the same one that can be found online for under $100.00, but if purchased from Yamaha in the kit is significantly more. Sim lists it at a whopping $776.82. Locally I paid $755.70, thinking I was getting an OEM Factory Yamaha fuel pump. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was a Walbro pump. Isn't this some sort of consumer fraud? I mean we're looking at at least 600% to 700% markup for that Made In USA Walbro pump. Yikes! Caveat Emptor I guess.
                      Anybody else care to weigh in on the amperage issue? Am I just making a mountain out of a molehill?

Comment

well, wire 'ampacity' - the maximum amperage allowed -
                        is a function of the insulation temperature rating.

Typically, 16 gauge wire would rated for up to 21 amps "in an engine space"
                        14 gauge rated for 30 amps.

I don't know exactly what gauge Yamaha used for the pump wiring -
                        I would guess 16 gauge.

I wonder why Walbro 'specifies' that a 20 amp fuse be used -
                        that's a lot of juice for a pump that size.

Can you discern exactly what model it is?

Comment

Given that fuses are primarily intended to protect the wiring and not the device, a 10 amp fuse could very well be the correct one for a given circuit.

It is always acceptable to use a fuse that is less than it could be. Just never use one that is more than it can be.

I suspect that Yamaha has analyzed the circuitry and determined that the wires used are of the size and type that are acceptable for use with a ten amp fuse.

If the pump "could" draw 20 amps then it is going to be even better protected if a ten amp fuse is used as opposed to a 20 amp fuse being used.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                            well, wire 'ampacity' - the maximum amperage allowed -
                            is a function of the insulation temperature rating.

Typically, 16 gauge wire would rated for up to 21 amps "in an engine space"
                            14 gauge rated for 30 amps.

I don't know exactly what gauge Yamaha used for the pump wiring -
                            I would guess 16 gauge.

I wonder why Walbro 'specifies' that a 20 amp fuse be used -
                            that's a lot of juice for a pump that size.

Can you discern exactly what model it is?
                            Agreed with the ampacity statement. However I would be guessing at the gauge used for the fuel pump circuitry.
                            The exact model is Walbro, F30000273. Again, stamped directly into the pump body just above the "20 AMP FUSE REQUIRED" statement.

Comment

should be easy enought to measure how may amps it drws under normal running conditions just to verify what it pulls

Comment

Working...
                              X