Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

starter, starter relay, T/T solenoid problems. Ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GLS062866 View Post
    panasonic see post #6. Since I changed to the post on the battery instead of the studs I have had no issues. I think that it is something inside the battery with the studs.

thanks,
    GLS
    I was just checking to be sure. Strange problem with that battery. Glad you got it sorted out.

Comment

do you mean that in a good way? Do you think Odyssey is a good choice? Not sure if I want to replace now or just wait to see if it holds up. Higher priced than others but it has lasted. Any thoughts or suggestions on other brands?

Comment

Although the photo of the battery is not very clear, I think I can see enough to suggest those posts are tarnished and a good brushing to brighten them up to reduce the resistance might be all that is needed.
        Strange that they are so far from the posts. I have pulled a few batteries apart in the past (to recover lead to make sinkers), and maybe it will satisfy your as well as our curiosity, when the battery has finally expired, to see what the bridge under there is like. The battery will need to be drained (if environmentally acceptable these days) and neutralised with bicarbonate soda, to make it safe to crack the lid off.

Comment

Originally posted by GLS062866 View Post
          do you mean that in a good way? Do you think Odyssey is a good choice? Not sure if I want to replace now or just wait to see if it holds up. Higher priced than others but it has lasted. Any thoughts or suggestions on other brands?
          Yes I meant in a good way...glad you discovered the problem.

I asked about the voltage drop test results and didn't get from post #6 what they were. I was suspecting you still had corrosion in your main cables and that was still the problem.

No I don't have any suggestions on a battery brand.
          I would not buy the most expensive out there because sometimes you are just paying for a name...nor would I buy a cheap one. Something to suit your needs and situation. If it is your only battery for starting then a good quality battery is a must.

If you are going to wait and see if it holds up, then maybe consider carrying a booster pack with you.

Comment

Working...
          X