Oil Pump Seal Leak F225 2002 model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pump Seal Leak F225 2002 model

Replaced oil pump due to leak under warranty 400 hours ago. Now leaking again at bad upper seal. Does anyone know of permanent fix to the seal wearing groves in the sleve that is causing the seals to fail. Expensive repair to undergo so often.

Yamaha offers a stainless steel sleeve that fits over the crank shaft in the area where the seal rides.

Comment

See a Yamaha dealer as there is a multi-page service bulletin describing the problem and how to fix it. They also recommend a whole new oil pump, not just a seal replacement.

Comment

F225 Oil Pump Seal Leaking Again

Service Repair did the fix with the SS sleeve and new pump but now has begun to leak again. Very expensive repair to do so soon afterwards. Must be more to the problem. Yamaha does not suggest anything but repeat the costly process. Will likely leak again.

Comment

Well, unfortunately that is what dynamic seals smetimes do. They wear out.

Do the job yourself and you are not talking a lot of money in the grand scheme of boating. New base gasket, new seal and you are done.

Comment

In calendar time, how long ago was the speedy sleeve installed?

Comment

I have done many sleeves, some 3 or 4 times.
              typically we see 600-800 hours between sleeve replacements.
              I use locktite 518 on the sleeve ID to prevent leakage between the shaft and the sleeve.
              no mystery in the pump itself only issue we ever have with sealing the pump is getting the screws out.

Comment

How can you tell it is time To replace oil seal?

Comment

It leaks oil.

Comment

Right...

Motor is not leaking much oil. Yamaha mech suggested I change them while I'm replacing water pump. With new pump bolted down, shaft is almost impossible to turn. thought seals may be rubbing.

Comment

Seal replacing

Just looking for basic steps to replacing oil seals. Any tips?

Comment

2002 F225TXRA Yamaha Outboard CRANKSHAFT PISTON Diagram and Parts

Part #2

Pull flywheel at the least.. Don't think there's anything else, stator should be ok
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

What seals are you referring to? There are many. Upper and lower crank shaft seals, camshaft seals, etc.

If you remove the power plant to get to the bottom seal do you want to install the Speedy Sleeve?

The only Yamaha published steps are in the applicable Yamaha service manual. Not much but that is all there is. Unless you get the bulletin from the dealer re the Speedy Sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            What seals are you referring to? There are many. Upper and lower crank shaft seals, camshaft seals, etc.

If you remove the power plant to get to the bottom seal do you want to install the Speedy Sleeve?

The only Yamaha published steps are in the applicable Yamaha service manual. Not much but that is all there is. Unless you get the bulletin from the dealer re the Speedy Sleeve.
                            I think he's referring to the top, crank seal now, per his first post and following posts..

And they did do a sleeve fix but that sounds like the lower one when they did the oil pump replacement..
                            Scott
                            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                              I think he's referring to the top, crank seal now, per his first post and following posts..

And they did do a sleeve fix but that sounds like the lower one when they did the oil pump replacement..
                              Damn my eyes.

You are right. I did not go back to the top and read where he said upper seal. I must have got offtrack by the oil pump comment which is down below the block. Plus, that is the seal that leaks about 99.9% of the time.

Have heard of an upper seal leaking but not due to it wearing grooves in the crank shaft of a sleeve.

Comment

Working...
                              X