Sorry, no direct link, just the thread (first post):

https://www.600riders.com/forum/the-...admit-but.html
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Bristol UK airport
    20 minutes of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuoY_agvSs8&t=1076s

Comment

Lol....He is earning his money that day.!! That was in Bristol England a few days ago....40+ knot crosswind.

I have been in the Landing Gear Factory, for training, where that 757 gear is made (along with many other types) and they are built extremely strong and tested to destruction. Very impressive facility to say the least.

Here is a crosswind landings video mostly looking at the aircraft coming straight at you ...in a place in Germany. Gives a better perspective on the angles involved. Watch on desktop/laptop to see wings flexing big time...

https://youtu.be/w4EQuM_t8Fo

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        Lol....He is earning his money that day.!! That was in Bristol England a few days ago....40+ knot crosswind.

I have been in the Landing Gear Factory, for training, where that 757 gear is made (along with many other types) and they are built extremely strong and tested to destruction. Very impressive facility to say the least.

Here is a crosswind landings video mostly looking at the aircraft coming straight at you ...in a place in Germany. Gives a better perspective on the angles involved. Watch on desktop/laptop to see wings flexing big time...

https://youtu.be/w4EQuM_t8Fo
        Lost count of aborted attempts. Amazing how effective the brakes are on those planes. Pilots are not afraid to use them either. Last couple flights I have been on.....wow!

Comment

Many of those were atrocious.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
            Many of those were atrocious.
            That huge airbus was pretty smooth.

Comment

Yes it was. But the huge airbus (at 7:40) wasn't dealing with much of a crosswind. On final there is little or no crab evident. As he gets low enough to see the runway it appears to me as though he is essentially aligned with the runway centerline. Piece of cake. Don't mess up the flare and you've got it.

Landing in a crosswind over 25-30 knots is one of the most challenging things that most pilots deal with today. Low Vis, icing conditions, thunderstorms, etc we have pretty much figured out. Aircraft system technology, flight training, procedures etc have been engineered into the operation and the airports to mitigate their hazards. But parking a plane on a wet runway in a 40 knots crosswind is tricky. You can do everything right, and F it up at the last second. Or, fly sloppily from ten miles out and then get lucky and roll it on. Things change fast in the last 300 feet, particularly when its gusty.

But not using the rudder (or aileron on takeoff) in a strong crosswind is a major faux pas in my book, and I've seen it done ever since I began flying. The Navy guys get a pass because their runway IS sideways and moves as they fly to it. Plus, their planes are designed and built to crash into the boat at a specific pitch attitude and vertical speed. They don't have time or runway to fine tune their touchdown. But for the rest, I don't get it and I'm flabbergasted when I see it. Fortunately the planes don't seem to care. If you want to see some sphincter fracturing landings, watch this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljOxo0s33sI

Boeing and Airbus build the planes to withstand horrible piloting. Hence, these flight tests. The test pilots added minimal rudder for testing, not as a demonstration of proper technique. During extreme crosswinds (some combination of a large angle from the runway centerline and high wind speed) landing somewhat sideways is often necessary. But landing sideways with zero attempt to align the plane with the runway centerline is just shitty piloting in my book.
              Last edited by oldmako69; 10-26-2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I understand that airplane tires can only be recapped so many time be for they have to be removed from service.
                what is that number?

those used tires make great front tractor tires down here In Tx around t***** bushes/trees in pastures
                especially if that tractor has a front end loader on it

Comment

The numbers that comes to mind is between 5 and 10. I worked in the Wheel and Brake shop for about a year when I first started. Tore down and rebuilt many wheel and Brake assy's. The tires are thick and heavy.

Comment

We put on a set of 18 ply tires on our old Ford 3600 . tires and new rims ran about $400 I think.
                    I read they are made from natural rubber so they hold up longer and better than car/truck tires.
                    but watching these videos I guess the treads wear down quickly seeing all that smoke when they hit the pavement, so they probably do not go many years between recapping

We have been working on getting rid of the mesquite and Honey Locust trees on out 68 acres.
                    So may not need the tires as much before long I hope.

I guess the web site did not like thorn-y I wrote
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 10-27-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X