Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yellowtail
    replied
    No. Haven't touched the primer bulb but I will on tomorrow's start up and report back. I have one of those cheap spark plug testers that you clip to the engine block. Can't run the engine and used the tester, but I'll give that a try. Both plugs appear a bit oily, not the tan color I would hope for. The compression was good on both cylinders when I checked a few months back; maybe time to have another look. And the engine cold starts without the choke, which might suggest it is running a little rich. Though "cold start" is a relative term here in the tropics :-)
    Thanks...

Leave a comment:

• panasonic
    replied
    Have you pumped the primer bulb when this is happening to see if it makes a difference?
    Do you have a spark tester that you can hook up and see if it maybe is dropping a cylinder occasionally?

How do the plugs look?
    Last edited by panasonic; 05-10-2019, 05:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Got flagged for some reason..

Either use You Tube or I use Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/

Record with your camera (or I guess smart phone), upload to You Tube, then post the LINK here...

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Originally posted by yellowtail View Post
    Thanks Townsends... not sure how to do that. But between cell phones and digital cameras, I'm sure I can "capture the moment" but might need help uploading it to the site.
    Either "You Tube" or I use "Flicker": https://www.flickr.com

Record with your camera (or I guess smart phone), upload to You Tube / Flicker, then post the link for that video here...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-10-2019, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• yellowtail
    replied
    Thanks Townsends... not sure how to do that. But between cell phones and digital cameras, I'm sure I can "capture the moment" but might need help uploading it to the site.

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Anyway to upload a video with audio of the engine when it's acting up?

Leave a comment:

• yellowtail
    replied
    Yes. And I think it is getting worse. No timing light unfortunately. I'll look into buying one. Living in the third world has it's moments... this isn't one of them!
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Bry

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    really bad fuel could be you problem,
    but if you do not have access to good clean gas I am not sure additives will fix bad gas.
    detonation can destroy pistons,
    need to find out what that knocking is

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    timing light should show you what is happening while motor is running, just like your automotive motors

Leave a comment:

• yellowtail
    replied
    Thanks 99yam40
    I have to pull the flywheel for this? No Mechanics in my neck of the woods.
    Bry

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    I would check timing to see what it is set at and how it advances to make sure all is in spec

Leave a comment:

• yellowtail
    replied
    Hey guys, still having trouble at slower speeds.

I know I should have started a new thread for this but haven't been able to make a New Post so I'm having to tack this onto an old one.

My Yamaha MSH two-cycle 15hp starts and idles well, but when I apply power, it starts making a noise like a truck with a hole in the muffler. It clatters and vibrates until I reach about half speed. Then things settle out. Missing on one cylinder? A bearing going?

Anyway, the other day, it was running well, then suddenly lost power and died. Started again, but as soon as I put it into gear, it died again. And again.

Checked fuel for water. Checked strainer on engine for dirt/water. Changed spark plugs. All good but same problem. Engine started but failed under power.

Removed carb, stripped it down, cleaned and reinstalled. Engine started and performed as normal meaning it runs but I still have the noise and vibration until reaching half-speed. Not sure if the problems are related.

This is the second time I've stripped down and cleaned the carb in the past 12 months. Clearly a a fuel problem. The filters are clean so it isn't solids, (at least solids that I can see). I have a Wix inline disposable filter and the strainer on the engine.

So it's the crappy fuel I am forced to buy in the Dominica Republic? I've added carb cleaner to the gas and an octane booster is see if that smooths out performance. On my second tank and it hasn't made a difference so far. Do I need better filtration? Different additives?

Any ideas to solve the problem for the long-term are much appreciated.

Thank you

Bry

Leave a comment:

• yellowtail
    replied
    Okay. That's good. They both have 63V so I guess I'm okay. It just surprised me that the numbers didn't match. And i don't ever remember someone replacing a coil. Maybe it came from the factory that way. Who knows. Again, thank you...
    Bry

Leave a comment:

• boscoe99
    replied
    If they have 63V on them it should not matter. Quite surprised actually that one of them seems to have the complete part number on it. 99.999% of Yamaha parts don't.

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    Originally posted by yellowtail View Post
    Hey guys. My Yammie 15MSH (manufactured in 2007, Serial Number 684KS1057789), two cycle has been running a little rough lately so I was poking around under the cowl and I noticed the coils don't match. I got one with part # 63V-0072N and the other is part # 63V-85570-00. Is this right? Should they match? Or does it matter?

Much thanks,

Bry
    if you look up the part # for the coils on your motor they show 2 coils the same .63V-85570-00
    but as Rod mentioned, that does not mean that is what is causing your rough running

Leave a comment:

Working...
X