90 TLRD Oil Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 TLRD Oil Injection

Is there an "upgrade" available for the oil injection system on a 20005 90 TLRD outboard? I have a freshly rebuilt motor on the way and someone mentioned the last yamaha 2 stroke they had they put an upgraded oil injection system on it... included additional check valves or something along those lines.

I have search all over and can't find anything about an actual upgrade. Just a couple part supercessions. Does anyone know of any actual heavy duty, commercial or "upgrade" that can be done to the system?

thanks

Many years ago before a 2005 model they made an upgrade to a different oil pump, maybe that is what they were talking about.

what trashed your motor?
    fuel problems?

Comment

There are no upgrades to a 90TLRD oil injection system. It has all of the latest available parts. It is about as reliable as any system can be.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        Many years ago before a 2005 model they made an upgrade to a different oil pump, maybe that is what they were talking about.

what trashed your motor?
        fuel problems?
        Not sure what actually trashed the motor as it wasn't mine. Buying a completely rebuilt motor to put on a fishing sled of mine. Pretty worked over. Decked heads & intake, reeds, ported, lightened flywheel, tuner. Should be a fun motor.

I kind of assumed it was just upgraded over the model years.

Comment

IMHO , best way to make a motor unreliable is to modify and hot rod it.

seems all of the people I knew growing up that modified their cars and trucks ended up working on them all of the time, and some blew.

but then they liked working on them and trying to get more out of them.
          people with stock motors just ran them normally and they kept on going.

you do know hat B.O.A.T. stands for right

are they saying this motor puts out more than the 90 HP it is rated at from the factory without dumping more gas into it?
          Last edited by 99yam40; 10-04-2018, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I say all bets are off by running the stock oil injection system on a heavily modified engine. That system was designed for a stock engine with known parameters.

I would run premix in it.

Comment

Yeah, definitely has it's risks. Unfortunately my nature is to tweak and modify things. Hence you may have noticed the trend in my off the wall questions.

Overall the guy has built tons of these 90's for people. Not crazy power since I told him it's gotta be reliable, but seemed like 100-105 hp was about it for only spinning up to 5500. Just sounds like improving a little here and there is all that's needed to wake them up. Compression and port timing. The higher you spin them the more power they make, but that's not what I want. Just good snappy acceleration for a jet pump.

I plan on running good synthetic oil after the break in period. There's still some of the Pennzoil 100% synthetic floating around that can be snatched up.

Comment

are the carbs modified also?
                hard to get more HP and not put more fuel and air into a motor to get that extra HP

Comment

I think most gains are just efficiency. I know he works the carbs a little, but I don't think they're bored. From what I've been told, the newer style carbs are more efficient and have a little more power to give without modifying them.

Comment

and I call BS.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      and I call BS.
                      Nice. Care to elaborate? Seems like improving on a 35 year old engine/head design isn't a huge leap.

If it always takes more air/fuel to make more power... then shouldn't a new 90 etec get the same fuel consumption as a carb 2 stroke?

Comment

The etec is direct injected, hole different world. No comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                          The etec is direct injected, hole different world. No comparison.
                          I know, was just saying that to show it makes 90hp on less air/fuel because it's more efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch184 View Post

I know, was just saying that to show it makes 90hp on less air/fuel because it's more efficient.
                            Putting words in Rods mouth.....I think he is saying no way to make that old carbed motor so efficient to develop more noticeable horsepower with same fuel air load. Why spend cash and time for 10 hp? Unless you are racing for money.....

Comment

Fair enough. Guess I’ll find out.

Extra cost to have it ported was minimal and I’m not doing the labor so I thought why not.

Comment

Working...
                              X