Hpdi shutting off going into gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hpdi shutting off going into gear

I have a 2002 HPDI 200hp that shuts off as soon as I put it in gear. It was working fine and I pulled the boat out of the water to do some cleaning and fuel filters. I changed both low pressure fuel pumps, fuel water separator on transom, paper fuel filter in plastic fuel cup, vst filter and metal fuel filter on top of vst tank. Also changed spark plugs. I put the boat back in the water and it starts and idles fine. As soon as I shift into gear it shuts off. I hooked the Yamaha software to the motor and it shows no codes. Everything checks out in specs and can not figure out what is going on. I thought it might be something with the neutral switch on shift linkage so I changed that. Still same problem. If I unhook that switch the boat will stay running in gear, but it’s in 4cylinder idle mode and will cut down cylinders if I try to give it throttle. I am stumped and hoping it’s somthing simple I’m over looking

Does anyone have any idea of what I could start looking into? I’m pretty stumped on this one

Comment

I hope so. Trying to eliminate possible problems before having to go to the dealer. Just doesn’t make any sense why it’s doing this

Comment

Might verify what cylinders are not running at idle.
        maybe get a screen shot to let others see what all YDS shows.
        hope Rod or someone can give you some input

I would not think putting in gear should shut off any cylinders that were running, maybe put more on.
        can firing of each injector be monitored in YDS?

need to find out what cylinders pick up or drop out when you put into gear.
        if one or more are suppose to kick in and they are not, maybe there would be too much load for the ones running to turn the prop against the waterload

I thought the shift cut switch interrupted power to help coming out of gear

Comment

I’m pretty sure cylinders 2&3 were of at idle. If I unhook the blue Neutral switch and start it I can run in and out of gear. With the motor idling and unhooking that plug the motor shuts off. So I do not think it has to do with something undernload stalking the engine. Seems like that switch is acting as a kill switch as soon as the lower linkage slides away from it and depresses the button. I thought it was suppose to switch to 6 cylinder mode when that button on the switch is let off
          Last edited by CTHPDI200; 09-30-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

not everything toss's a code.
            no one sensor will stall the engine if that engine stalls it should set an alarm.
            I would want to carefully look at the ecu inputs before and after the stall.
            also make sure the main relay is still online.

Comment

I’ll have to see if I can get access to the Yamaha software again. A buddy stopped by and plugged it in after work for me as a Favor. When it comes to computers and reading data I’m not really sure what I’m looking for. Thank you for the reply’s

Comment

from what the OP wrote and Rod wrote, I would think the boat should be taken to a Yamaha shop with a master tech to sort this out.
                I have a feeling the OP may have a hard time doing what Rod suggested

Comment

I’m starting to lean that way of bringing it in for a tech to look at. I’ll take some videos tomorrow so everyone can see exactly what it’s doing. I do really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and try to help!

Comment

Find a tech that knows the hpdi. Those motors are dying out around here. Dying breed I should say....

Comment

and I was a Yamaha tech when they were introduced.
                      working at salty dawg in Manteo NC.
                      yea I have had some whoopins back in the day.
                      no one at Kennesaw knew much about them either.

Comment

Working...
                      X