No announcement yet.

1986 yamaha 150 pro v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic, thanks for the info regarding the anodes. I am taking my service manual file and owners manual file down to have printed out. Be a lot easier to read and then have a better understanding of what I am looking at.
    Townsender, good idea regarding the mix in a spray bottle. I had not thought of that. Thanks I will use that upon start up when I am ready.
    Rodbolt, Very impressive history there and congrats on the success. Did most my duty on a carrier in 71 on. I wouldn't want to work on those engines lol. To my knowledge the engine has not been in any salt water. You said easier way to test oil system. Mind sharing that way. You might of already said how but I will go back and read the post again in case I missed it. I pulled the pressure control valve and seemed stuck. Got OT out and now waiting on new one to arrive. Gona replace that old hose also.
    Thanks to everyone for great advice and I am feeling better about the direction I am going. Keep hearing from friends "hurry up and let's go get some crappie" but taking my time now for better fishing later.

Comment

I am not sure if they are internal OR external anodes.....Rodnut seems to indicate that they are internal on that engine (requires disassembly to access), which is of no use to you, as that is what you are trying to avoid. He is usually right.

If they are external then you can pull them to take a little closer look in the block. That is what I meant.

You say that you don't think the engine was in salt water? What does it look like in general...much corrosion, say inside the lower unit around the water pump? Did the bolts come out of the LU Ok?

Comment

even if they are accessible from the outside, you have to understand that when you try to remove them and they break off you will have to take the motor apart to get the broke parts out

Comment

Most of what I have found in the lower unit is white crusty stuff. The oil and other seals were dryrotted and bad. Carbs were all stuck and packed with crud. Boat and engine come outa Alabama north part. If it was in salt I would see lot of evidence of leftover salt. I had twin 350 inboard on a 32' searay on the Chesapeake bay on Maryland and salt water. I have not seen anything like what I saw up there even though they were inboard. Got it from a young couple that didn't know one end from the other. After all I found so far convinces me more to keep checking. I never seen oil that turned to jelly like I found in the oil tank on the boat. Might take me longer and more $ but worth the confidence when done. I want crappie and not towing lol

Comment

as two stroke oil ages the anti-wear solids come out of suspension.
            kinda like the mud in the bottom of the oil bottle on bravo and GENII drives using merc HP gear lube.
            it is normal.
            on this engine the only accessible anodes are the trim tab and bracket.
            the rest require cyl head removal.

Comment

Working...
            X