Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 yamaha 150 pro v

Hello
    My name is Howard Williams and I have read many post involving 150 pro V. I also have followed many post . If I may ask for a few minutes of your time to ask a few questions about my 150. I bought this engine for a great price 6 months ago. I have not had it on the water yet due to my desire to go through it firsthand. I am a novice mechanic but am learning quick. Now I did run it on muffs barely and went from there. The carbs were totally unable to work due to the gunk in them. Fuel full of water and totally went thru lower unit with new seals and water pump etc. Thermostat are stuck and being replaced. New carb kits arrived and to be installed. All fuel lines are replaced and 2 fuel pumps on the way. Seams the further I investigate the more I find. Rather find it now than on the water. So with that history so far I decided to remove the oil system and premix until I can replace the system with new. I have removed the engine tank and all the lines then 6 plugs at carbs and the pump shaft then covered with gasket and plate. I have the wiring left and need to know what to do from here. Also how do I check timing. I am I over thinking by maybe pulling heads and checking the water Chanel's .
    I did compression check before running it and got 95 on all 6. Now what I do was pull plugs and turn it over for the compression check. Maybe I did it wrong.
    Thanks for y'all time.
    ​​​​​​​1986 pro v 150

Rather than remove the oil system, why not just service it and continue using it? it's worked for a couple of decades!

Comment

what did you do to fix the starter?
      It is always a good idea to up date a thread you start when you come up with a solution.

the service manual should have a lot of info, did you get one.

timing check can be done just like on a car with a timing light
      compression can be checked just like you did it or you can open the throttle some if you would like
      does not matter much on a 2 stroke. closed you just have to spin it over longer

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I thought I posted an update on the starter but didn't. I returned the first starter I got and ordered another one that did work. Perhaps just a bad starter that wouldn't spin down but the 2nd one did work and engages like its supposed to.
        I have a downloaded copy of the manual but gona have to get a paper version cuz easier to follow.
        I decided to remove the system until I have more faith in the engine condition. I won't trust a 32 year old oil system on a engine that still has unknowns. I feel after I have gone through the engine and begin to trust it more that then I will consider re-installing it all back. I know some say that it's the best system etc. I don't want to chance it before knowing this engine. Everything that I have found so far Is due to lack of maintenance imo. Only thing I can't find info on is what or how to disconnect the wiring in a way to prevent alarms from sounding and still allowed to run properly. Thanks again for y'all input.
        ​​​​​​
        ​​​​​

Comment

I pulled the oil tanks off and the main tank was full of jelly like oil. Very thick and globby. Lines had some in it too. Keep diging and keep finding.

Comment

why not simply clean all the oil system, install it correctly,bleed it like the SM says and then run the first 6 gallons on 50/1 premix like the owners manual states ?
            go through the cooling system.
            do all the maint then go play.
            do not half arse it and expect good things.

Comment

I try and never half azz anything I do. Always go for the best route and not short cuts. Like I said already is run mix until I know engine better. Plan in the future to reinstall system but not now!
              The cooling system is currently being gone through and was one of the questions I ask about. The question was is there a way to check passages for water without removing the heads?

Comment

You could pull the thermostats and have a look inside the bore. When is the last time the motor was run?

Comment

I had it started about 2 months ago. Only for about a couple minutes. Would stay running cuz few reasons so far. Fuel pumps were rusted and carbs were all stuck with crap. Had to use fluid to get started. All the fuel system is new including lines, rebuilt carbs, fuel pumps, drained both fuel tanks. Have thermostats out and being replaced, new seals, water pump and lower unit oil. I looked through the thermostat holes best I can but ain't much. Can't decide to remove heads to check passages. Hoping another way to check it out. Been going through all external I can. Very glad I did after all I found.
                  Thank you for the response

Comment

you do realize that starting a two stroke on ether is a recipe for burning a piston?
                    anything that goes in the intake also has to lubricate. ether does not contain lube.
                    anytime I am bringing an old motor that has sat for over a year back to life.
                    step 1 test spark and compression.
                    pressure test lower.
                    change lower oil.
                    complete service of cooling system.
                    complete service of fuel system including tank pump out.
                    complete service and bleeding of oil system.
                    testing of the alarm systems.
                    then run at least six gallons of 50/1 premix while watching tank level.

Comment

If it overheats after the steps mentioned above then worry about the passages. 32 year old motor. You might break every bolt you touch.

Comment

I agree with that advice. Old bolts are what concerns me. Thanks for that advice. As far as what's in the service manual live advice is certainly a plus. And as far. as ether in a two stroke and wondering If I know about it. Ain't my first rodeo. Yes I am still learning my engine and ask for advice on some questions. I have a fairly complete shop for almost any mechanical things and remodeling for over 40 yr. But when I get into something different then I look for knowledge and friendly advice on the questions I might have. 15 yr service and 55 life experience I still don't have all the answers. Thanks again for the friendly advice .

Comment

There appears to be a couple of anodes in the parts break down of the block. You can pull those, if accessible. Might give you a better idea of the condition of the internal passages.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with your approach in regards to the oil injection system. Running premix until you know the engine is sound and is worth your efforts and money....fix the injection system after you are confident all is well. I don't know how to disable the oil alarm. Do you have the proper wiring diagram for the engine?
                            I would not use starting fluid as already mentioned.
                            Good luck.

Comment

I started back in the marine industry in 1992. was placed on the temporary retiered duty list in 1993.
                              before that I spent 6 years in the USN's advanced electrionics program,before that 6 yrs of setting up and programming CNC lathes and mills for gear-hart owens in Cleburne TX, before that I was an auto tech.
                              started turning wrenchs on autos at age 15.
                              I am almost 57 now.
                              I earned my Yamaha master tech in march of 06.
                              last spring I had to recommision an OX66 that had sat four years.
                              same steps, lit of and ran instantly with no issues,still running.
                              I do not recommend messing with the internal anodes.
                              they will look like new other than having a gray crust.
                              about the 3rd time an anode drys after use in saltwater it is useless unless cleaned.
                              to test the oil system there is a much easier method than the one in the SM.faster and easier, two things I like.

Comment

Working...
                              X