1989 Yamaha F9.9SF Oil Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Yamaha F9.9SF Oil Seal Replacement

I just purchased a motor and I need to replace the oil seals under my water pump. Do I need to pull the bearing housing to get them out or can I just use my seal puller and pull them out as it is? How do I get the housing out if I need to pull it? I have the Seloc manual but it's not much help.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Alpha550; 09-21-2018, 12:21 PM.

pull the housing very carefully
    pry up evenly so it does not jam and break

Comment

I haven's worked on one of these small motors.

Looks like the water pump housing bolts hold the carrier in place. The ones you removed to get to this point. Can you remove the gasket and funk to get a better look?

You may need a slide hammer with hook attachment to tap upwards at various spots around the edge. That may/should loosen and move the carrier up and out. That worked with mine but not the same exact setup. Harbor Freight sells a cheapo that I used. Tapping, not slamming the tool.... If you try to pry the carrier upwards using the side of lower unit you will crack the lower unit housing....Once the carrier is up and out, seals should be easy.

Maybe a few others are more familiar with this exact unit....
      Last edited by pstephens46; 09-21-2018, 04:07 PM.

Comment

How do you know the seal is bad?....pressure test???

Comment

99yam40- i did just gently try to pry around the Edges but wasn't sure if it was connected by something I didn't see. I will try again knowing that it can just slide up.

pstephens46- that is just corrosion and dirt you see on the housing. When I replaced the impeller it didn't have a gasket under the plate. I did clean up and lightly sanded to get the corrosion off and put a new gasket on. I do have a slide hammer and will try it as well. I just didn't know if i could access my seals without pulling the housing cause it is going to take probably some time and patience to pull the housing out.

thanks for your replies guy's, i appreciate the help!

Comment

Robert- yes

Comment

NO NO NO.
              you MUST pull the drive shaft FIRST.
              or you post about a broken housing.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                NO NO NO.
                you MUST pull the drive shaft FIRST.
                or you post about a broken housing.
                Because of the sleeve? Part #4:

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha.../lower-drive-1

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-22-2018, 02:14 PM.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Curious too. What is preventing the carrier/housing from moving up?

Comment

Heck if you have to pull the drive shaft before the housing then just pull the seals after the shaft is out.

makes me wonder why you would have to take lower all apart to just replace the drive shaft seals.
                    what were those Yamaha engineers thinking.

If this is all true it goes to show a service manual is a must for sure

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      Heck if you have to pull the drive shaft before the housing then just pull the seals after the shaft is out.

makes me wonder why you would have to take lower all apart to just replace the drive shaft seals.
                      what were those Yamaha engineers thinking.

If this is all true it goes to show a service manual is a must for sure
                      I think I'd be yanking with a seal puller (backyardian procedure)
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

My seals will slide all the way down to the housing. I'm not sure what i will do, but wait and see if anyone else has some suggestions.

thanks guys!

Comment

Where is Panasonic?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha550 View Post
                            My seals will slide all the way down to the housing. I'm not sure what i will do, but wait and see if anyone else has some suggestions.

thanks guys!
                            Does your manual have a procedure/steps to pull those seals?

Rodbolt is a Yamaha master tech, so he should know what has to be done

Comment

it is stupidly simple.
                              notice how large the seal surface on the shaft is.
                              notice how small the area under the seal surface is where the carrier shaft bushing is.
                              go ahead and pry like ell.
                              that carrier isn't that expensive.
                              not that I have ever had a small case apart in the past 30 yrs or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X