Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1994 yamaha 130 going in limp mode need Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 yamaha 130 going in limp mode need Help!!

HAVE A 1994 YAMAHA 130. ENGINE STARTS FINE, RUN IT FOR AN HOUR AND 30 MINUTES AT IDLER, 30 MINUTES AT 1700 RPM WORKS GREAT, TURN IT OFF AND WHEN STARTED AGAIN AFTER 1 OR 2 MINUTES ENGINE WARNING BUZZER GOES OFF, TEMP LIGHT COMES ON, OILS CANISTER LIGHT COMES ON, AND OIL LIGHT COMES ON THEN ENGINE GOES INTO LIMP MODE.
    TURN THE MOTOR OFF START IT 2-3 TIMES BUZZER GOES OFF AND IT GOES INTO LIMP MODE, AFTER 4 OR 5TH START IT RUNS PERFECT NO ALARM NO LIMP MODE.
    BOTH TANKS HAVE PLENTY OF OIL, TEMPERATURE ON BOTH HEADS RUN ABOUT 119 TO 123 DEGREES. POWER HEAD WAS REBUILT IN 2016 WITH ALL NEW PARTS INCLUDING THERMOSTATS, IMPELLER OIL PUMP.
    TOOK TEMP SENSOR, NEW OIL SENSOR FROM THE STARBOARD SIDE 130 MOTOR AND SWAPPED IT AND STILL SAME ISSUES.
    AT THIS TIME I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. ANY ONE HAS ANY IDEAS??

I would look at the plug connections at the CDI, where all the things that can cause RPM reduction come together.... And the wire harness for chafes.

Please provide exact model and Serial number from transom bracket.

Also please don't use all capital letters in your posts...it makes it hard to read.

Comment

running a large motor for a hour at idle while on muffs(if that Is what you are doing ) may not let enough water flow so heat build up close to alarm point . when shut off water drains out of power head so no cooling water is in top part of motor so temp rises and it takes awhile for the heat to dissipate.

but then that should not cause the oil indicators to come on
      bad wiring is the only thing I can think of also

Comment

Thank you for your responses!! I will check the wiring and the CDI. Also the buzzer went off when I was out on the water. But that was because there was sea weed stuck on the bottom. Lifted the motor took the sea weed out and never went off again. So I'll take it on the water and see if it does what it's doing on the muffs.

Comment

So is he saying he ran it for an hour and a half on the muffs???

Comment

Yes on the muffs. I bought the boat used. Since owning the boat I've took it out about 7 or 8 times. Every time I take it's out the over heart gauge buzzes st least once, but then runs fine the rest of the day. So I'm trying to figure out why it's doing that. So that's why I posted the very first post asking for help on what could be wrong that I'm missing.

Comment

I hope you replaced the water pump after the sea weed problem, or at least pulled it to see what kind of damage was done to it when it plugged up and overheated.
              i have seen the rubber impeller melt from that

Comment

You have to make sure the buzz is because of overheating. We would assume the seaweed caused an overheat alarm. But what about all the other indicators flashing the other time in the driveway on the muffs? Little confusing....

Comment

The seaweed was the last time I took it out. When I took the seaweed out while on the water. The alarm never buzzed again for that whole entire time we were out on the water just that one time that day. If I were to go grab the boat right now and crank it up itll run fine for 30min to hour in idle. As soon as I shut it off and restart it the alarm buzzes all 3 indicators are flashing temp light, oil canister light and oil light come on. 3-4 starts buzzer starts buzzing on every start. After 3-4 starts the buzzer goes off and you can run it at idle again for 30 min. To an hour with out the buzzer going off again. Its weird it seems like it want to run good some times and not very inconsistent.

Comment

So a little more info on the 1994 L130TXRS going on limp mode that my son posted, I have the boat here in Florida. The motor was completely overhauled in 2016, pistons, rings, bearings, impeller, acid washed, new thermostats, poppet valves, etc. Both auxiliary tank sensors and oil lines were replaced in 2013, I have all receipts from previous owner on all work done by a Certified Yamaha mechanic shop.

I swapped temp sensors from STB side motor, installed new main tank oil sensor and the same problem persists. You can run it for 30 to 50 minutes at idle and 15-20 minutes at 1700RPM, both times on muffs and temp on both heads and thermostat cover 119-123 degrees and runs perfect. You shut it down wait a couple of minutes when start back up after running about 2-3 minutes buzzer alarm goes off and all the lights on LCD Tach comes on, then the motor goes into limp mode it sounds as if its running on 2 cylinders. Cut it off start up again and after the 3 or 4th start it runs fine no buzzer no lights no limp mode. While buzzer is on and on limp mode water coming out of piss hole is strong, cold and temperature runs 119-123 degrees. Plenty of oil on both main tank and auxiliary tank.
                    Cant figure this one out ?????????

Comment

You have a wiring problem

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                        You have a wiring problem
                        I will try that this weekend and see what happens.
                        Thank you for the info

Comment

Like 99yam40 verify good pump! Then electical how are u testng temp infared ,temp stick.exhaust jacket cool?

Comment

Infrared bought at harbor freight.

Comment

Muffs tight hose pressure high?ck connectors for corrosion

Comment

Working...
                              X