charging from a manual start OB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ignatious1947 View Post
    OK, I guess I am getting dumber every day. I got my R/R and it didn't have any bolts, nuts, collars or grommets. I don't know why I would think that those items should have been included but they weren't. $38.67 for those few parts and another 2 weeks probably before I can install this R/R but then again, it's cold and I'm not going to put my boat into the water until next year so no big deal.

Thanks for all the advice anyway guys. I appreciate it and I hope to have something to add someday myself.
    Where is it cold? Here? Been hot, still hot and hot for the foreseeable future. Water temp still 80 and should be low 70s. Fish are confused as I tend to be.

Comment

Some frost here in the mornings...but still 10-15 C in the day...my kind of weather!!

Comment

OK, finally got my parts yesterday, installed them, built a wiring harness, hooked it to a battery, cranked up the engine, started charging to 14.4v at 2.7. The RR heated up to 150 degrees f and held steady. Didn't try to disconnect because I just spent $165 and didn't want anything to blow. I don't know why the RR heated up so easily because the battery started out at 12.7v (nearly a full charge) and was only being charged at 2.7a. The RR is isolated from the engine block via two rubber grommets on a "stand off" bracket so I would think that it was heating up inside while making inly 2.7a. I took the temp readings with the engine cowling off after about 10-15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by ignatious1947 View Post
          OK, finally got my parts yesterday, installed them, built a wiring harness, hooked it to a battery, cranked up the engine, started charging to 14.4v at 2.7. The RR heated up to 150 degrees f and held steady. Didn't try to disconnect because I just spent $165 and didn't want anything to blow. I don't know why the RR heated up so easily because the battery started out at 12.7v (nearly a full charge) and was only being charged at 2.7a. The RR is isolated from the engine block via two rubber grommets on a "stand off" bracket so I would think that it was heating up inside while making inly 2.7a. I took the temp readings with the engine cowling off after about 10-15 minutes.
          The motor is creating more than 2.7 amps when it is running. Anything over the amps that the battery was consuming/drawing (2.7 amps) is consumed within the R/R. That is why it is hot. Smaller motors use fins to radiate heat and keep the R/R cool. Relatively cool since as you note it got to 150* F. Bigger motors use water to keep the R/R cool.

Comment

They are definitely warm to the touch. Glad you got it rigged up and working.

Comment

Working...
            X