charging from a manual start OB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging from a manual start OB

Can my 2013 Yamaha F15 4 stroke short shaft OB charge a 12 volt battery using a rectifier?

What is the complete model of your F15? There are a bunch of them.

Comment

Probally. On the port side of the engine just aft and above the oil filter there is a plastic holder for the wiring bullet connectors. If there is two green wires in that holder not being used then you have a lighting coil under the flywheel installed. You should be able to follow those wires and see they go up under the flywheel.

If they are indeed there, then these are the wires that will hook up to your rectifier. The Yamaha rectifier will plug and play. The mounting bracket should be right there as well.

I just put a rectifier on a 2008 F15....I don't think they have changed much in that regard.

Please provide the exact model and Serial number on the transom bracket data plate. And take a picture of the port side of the engine so we can see what you have.

You can look up the rectifier on this site and purchase here as well.

Comment

OK, here are the numbers.... F15SMHA 6AGK s 1033207 B I hope that this motor will allow me to charge a battery.

Comment

I see the two lime green wires that are connected to nothing (rubber plugs in the ends) That means you have the provision to hook up a rectifier/regulator on your engine to charge a small battery.

Parts are here: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...3/electrical-2

The rectifier will come with two green wires, one black and a red. The two greens just plug into the two greens on the engine, it does not matter which way...just green to green. The black (ground) will have a ring terminal on it and there is a ground stud near the rectifier mount for that. The red is your positive output.

I don't know if you plan on using all Yamaha parts or not. They are all listed in the link above. The mounting bracket is already on the engine as well. There are some bolts, nuts, rubber grommets, a small wire harness with a inline fuse in it and the rectifier itself. If you use all the parts listed then you will have basically converted your engine exactly as if you had bought it with charging capacity in the first place.

The last two I did I just bought the rectifier itself (one Yamaha and one aftermarket) and I mounted them with my own bolts. I made up a small harness to run to the battery with a inline fuse holder. Ty-wrapped this harness around the engine and out through the front of the pan through a blanked off hole (rubber plug) Done deal.

I would buy the "Yamaha" Rectifier

Good Luck
          Last edited by panasonic; 09-18-2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks Panasonic. It does look pretty straight forward even to a 70 year old fart. Just to be sure, it is part number
            RECTIFIER & REGULATOR ASSY
            6AH-81960-00-00 Right? Now for the next dumb question, how many amps should I expect from this unit? I know it will vary with engine RPM but would it be around 5 amps average maybe? I plan on charging into a standard deep cycle 24 size 12 volt battery. And the last dumb question, I read somewhere that if the wires are not connected to the battery with the motor running, it will burn up the rectifier along with screwing up my nice clean motor. Do you know if that is true or not?
            Ships in 2 to 3 days

Comment

That's the part number I see for rectifier regulator on F15's since 2006 until now.....

I don't know how many amps it is capable of producing and meant to test my buddies F15 awhile ago but I loaned my DC clamp meter to somebody a year or two ago and now I cant remember who it was!!! Of course they never brought it back on their own.

I would not expect more than 10 amps max and I think Rodbolt told me that awhile ago as well. What are you planning on using the battery for? Fish finder, bilge pump, *****ing motor??

As for frying the R/R by not having it hooked up to a load (battery)? I would not think so, that would be an extremely bad design. So you are cruising along happily and one of the leads on your battery vibrates loose and comes off, the R/R just cooks itself?? I don't think that would happen but I am not 100% sure. I looked in the service manual and see no warnings about this. If you have the battery out for some reason pulling the inline fuse would probably be a good idea though.

Hopefully Boscoe, Rodbolt and/or Fairdeal will read this and let us know for sure.

Let us know how you make out.

Comment

This is just my thoughts,
                if no battery is there to take any current, all that is being produced would have to be shunted to ground.
                does the RR not shunt off any voltage to ground above what it wants going to the battery.

from what I have read , some larger outboards tend to burn up the RR due to loose battery connections.

but there is a good chance that this smaller motor does not produce enough to worry about, But I do not know that as a fact

I believe my C40 only puts out 6amps at high RPM and less at lower RPM

Comment

yup Panasonic, I plan to use the battery for everything, Fish finder, bilge pump, *****ing motor, etc. I might even buy a 12 v water heater to make coffee in the middle of the lake, so any charging will be appreciated. I have a 5 watt solar panel that I got recently that will be helpful but will not replenish very fast. Thanks everyone for all the advice and info. It all really helps.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    This is just my thoughts,
                    if no battery is there to take any current, all that is being produced would have to be shunted to ground.
                    does the RR not shunt off any voltage to ground above what it wants going to the battery.

from what I have read , some larger outboards tend to burn up the RR due to loose battery connections.

but there is a good chance that this smaller motor does not produce enough to worry about, But I do not know that as a fact

I believe my C40 only puts out 6amps at high RPM and less at lower RPM
                    The battery takes what it needs and only what it needs. The rest is normally shunted to ground and wasted in the form of heat, so as to keep the voltage under control.

You got me wondering now what would happen if the R/R is not connected to a battery. Thinking. To the laboratory.

Comment

Originally posted by ignatious1947 View Post
                      yup Panasonic, I plan to use the battery for everything, Fish finder, bilge pump, *****ing motor, etc. I might even buy a 12 v water heater to make coffee in the middle of the lake, so any charging will be appreciated. I have a 5 watt solar panel that I got recently that will be helpful but will not replenish very fast. Thanks everyone for all the advice and info. It all really helps.
                      I think you will find that you will still have to break out the shore battery charger if you are using the *****ing motor much. But who knows your situation.

Please let us know how good it works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

The battery takes what it needs and only what it needs. The rest is normally shunted to ground and wasted in the form of heat, so as to keep the voltage under control.

You got me wondering now what would happen if the R/R is not connected to a battery. Thinking. To the laboratory.
                        So when the battery is "fully" charged and will not take any more current and you are not taking anything from the battery....the RR shunts it's output to ground...everybody agrees on that...maybe.

Is this not basically the same as having the battery not connected? Nowhere for the RR output to go?

It worked on a Suzuki BF 15, manual start, recently and it had a RR on it. I asked him if used it, he said no, the guy he bought it from did. I checked it after getting it going and it was working. The cables where just coiled up and tye wrapped to the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

So when the battery is "fully" charged and will not take any more current and you are not taking anything from the battery....the RR shunts it's output to ground...everybody agrees on that...maybe.
                          ????????????

Comment

I was just stating a fact we know...but that somebody on this forum MAY come along and dispute it. That seems to happen now and then no matter the evidence otherwise.. I was being a smart azz.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

So does the RR control the voltage when not hooked up to a battery?
                              I would think it would.
                              I think as long as the flywheel is turning the lighting coil will produce voltage and current, the RR is still tied to the lighting coil even if a battery is not hooked up and still keep the voltage within the range it is set for

Comment

Working...
                              X