Cam Chain Tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Chain Tensioner

Can anyone tell me if this would be considered normal ware for the tension-er on 2005 F225 TXRD 600 hours of use on the heads.In the photo you can see a little gouge both tension-er have the same ware and in the same location, I would like to put them back in service if possible. Thank you in advance for your thoughts

kind of blurry on the plastic part, if that is what we are suppose to be looking at

Comment

How much do these tensioners cost?.....like most stuff, lot better to replace Before it fails

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
        How much do these tensioners cost?.....like most stuff, lot better to replace Before it fails
        $240 to $250 each

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          kind of blurry on the plastic part, if that is what we are suppose to be looking at
          Sorry about the picture quality and yes the plastic piece is what apply s tension to the chain the scratch/gouge is on the left hand side of the plastic piece in the picture.

Comment

Change them, you don't want the chains to twist.

Comment

these photos are of a tensioner from my F225TXRD - taken Sept 30, 2015
              per my records, engine hours at that time were ~1,370.
              I re-installed it afterwards.

The same tensioner is still in the engine -
              at the moment, > 2,115 hours

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                these photos are of a tensioner from my F225TXRD - taken Sept 30, 2015Thank

Thank you for the pictures and information I feel a little better about putting them back in service.I just cant afford to replace parts if I can still get a few seasons out of them I still have my other engine to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                  these photos are of a tensioner from my F225TXRD - taken Sept 30, 2015

This is very helpful, first-hand information and photos from Fairdeal....Thank you!....

Comment

Its a strange part, IMO.
                    It sux that the polymeric wear surface is not available separately -

and the "wear limit" seems wildly conservative;
                    its extended - "pressed against" the chain by engine oil pressure,
                    so it should "take up" any wear -
                    although obviously you don't want the chain to rub against the steel.

Had not thought about it until this thread -

but seems I'm 345 hours overdue for a "every 400-hour inspection":

Comment

It is not good to have it ware uneven. Just my thought.

Comment

Apparently an item that rarely fails, but if the polymeric surface ever failed I'm sure you'd hear the racket made by the metal on chain meeting each other for the first time!

Comment

probably would have to drive it around for awhile trying to figure out what that noise was and where it was coming from

Comment

That metal on chain at RPMs probably would get your attention.....guess it's happened a few times before....guess I'll keep my old 2 stroke!.....

Comment

To replace or not to replace.....that is the question.

My view is that engines wear out, some components before others. That component is not known to be a worry; that is they seem to last quite awhile almost forever in various engines.

They are meant to wear in to contain the chain, everyone I have seen, in motorbikes etc, develop "substantial" grooves. As this probably has still plenty of meat behind it, and as I am a bit against over maintenance and a believer components need to wearin first to prove themselves, and I hate spending money unnecessarily, I would reinstall them.

Comment

Working...
                              X