trim ram noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trim ram noise

Yamaha s150 ssII, when retracting the trim rams, they make a squalling sound as if the seal wipers are dry. It is quite unnerving and loud and I'm wondering if applying marine grease to the base of the rams will damage the seals. It seems to stop the noise. The manual does not mention any external lubrication of the hydraulic assembly. I do grease the contact points on the bracket however. Thanks in advance for any advise..

No grease will not harm it , putting grease on the ends of trim ram will stop the popping noise when trimming down. A high pitch noise is usually the fluid being forced through the valves at a high pressure and is normal, very little you can do to stop it

Comment

I have a 2002 115 efi. I've had the same squalling sound when trimming the motor all the way down. The squalling sound starts just moments before the motor is completely down. I checked the hydraulic fluid reservoir, the motor was up just high enough so I could see and open the cap easily. Approximately 1 1/2 oz. fluid spilled out. I put the cap back on, haven't had any more squalling noise. Could the reservoir have been overfilled at the factory? Could that have anything to do with the noise? Please let me know. Capt. Jerry

Comment

Working...
      X