Yamaha F150 Spontaneously Tilting while underway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F150 Spontaneously Tilting while underway

Good evening....I took my boat (twin 2004 F150s) out this morning and while I was in the channel coming home the starboard engine tilted completely out of the water. I knew something was wrong as there was no way that I hit the trim/tilt switch. I eventually got the engine to tilt back down and a minute later it did it again. Any ideas on where to start - is there a certain part that is more prone to failure? Appreciate the help!
    Last edited by Dapman04; 09-03-2018, 08:06 PM.

I'd check the connections and wires back at the tilt/trim relay....then check the switch itself...

Comment

Most likely one of the trim switches (helm / engine) has failed.

Disconnect the engine switch / plug first and see if it continues. If it stops, you've found your issue.

If not, its the switch in the control box.

BTW, if you un-plug the T&T in the cowl (just follow the wire from the T&T into the cowl), it'll fully disable it allowing you to get home..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thank you! It looks like this is not a common problem....

Comment

Originally posted by Dapman04 View Post
          I seem to remember a couple threads about it.

Comment

The trim/tilt switch on the throttle handle is the most problematic of the two switches. Being exposed to the elements does it.

Comment

03-hot-girls-fishing-part2.jpg Effing coriolis! That coupled with a weak Fetzer valve and you're done. That thing will tilt like a mofo.

Last edited by oldmako69; 09-04-2018, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dapman04 View Post
                Kinda is... Read probably about 6 in the last year..

Don't remember which switch was usually the issue thou.

I'd think the engine would see more salt spray (issues) than the helm but, dunno… It's one of em..

Oldmako69, keep it up, I'm "tilting" now!
                Scott

Comment

Just a quick update - replaced the switch on the engine and no change. Replaced the switch on the Binnacle and it fixed it. What a pain it was to get the plastic cover off to replace the switch - wish I had bought the port side switch to replace at the same time. Thanks for all the help and input!

Comment

Just curious, did you pull apart the bad switch and see what actually failed / got stuck?

And thanks for the update.
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X