X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck prop shaft

Yamaha 30 D 2 stroke. Motor suddenly stopped
    with a “clunk”. Seized gearbox. Removed bearing
    carrier - difficult! Bearing stayed in hub!! Gear shifter removed. Now cannot remove prop shaft.
    Drive shaft is also stuck solid and cannot be moved
    Does anyone have any suggestions how I might
    proceed ?

if it ran out of lube and seized, it is very possible the housing and shafts are damaged.(seized to bearings/gears)

have you tried using a slide hammer attached to the prop shaft to **** it out?

how about a flat plate with a hole in it to slide over the prop shaft , to rest against the lower housing so you can stack spacers around shaft until you can tighten a nut on prop shaft to try to break it loose.
    I used some 3/4" plywood before to do this, but the lower was not seized up

Comment

Thank you for that. Definitely ran out of lube! Tried banging it with a slide hammer but not a budge! Your suggestion of a flat bar sounds good. Will try that. Any idea how to remove the bearing? It moves in the housing and seems attached to the prop shaft but can’t get a puller behind it - no space. Have you ever drilled out a bearing?

Comment

I am sure if you pull the shaft the bearing will come with it, then use a bearing splitter and press or puller to get it off of the shaft

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I will go and pull with more brutality!!

Comment

I'm just spit-ballin' here, so forgive me if I'm not thinking this through... If the brutality doesn't work, do you have room to drill into the bearing, then screw in a couple screws and use those for something to "grip" onto to pull it out? Is there anything right behind the bearing that you need to worry about drilling into?
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Drill into a hardened steel bearing???

Comment

Will it be worth all this trouble? To attempt to repair it? Guessing major damage..... Is their a chance of finding a replacement for the lower unit?

Comment

look at your service manual, I am sure it gives info on how to remove the bearing from the shaft

how did you attach the slide hammer to the shaft?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    Will it be worth all this trouble? To attempt to repair it? Guessing major damage..... Is their a chance of finding a replacement for the lower unit?
                    If replacement on the cards, you can also experiment with application of plenty of heat. It's amazing how things just can happen when you have a plan B (replacement). This is how many mechanics succeed because they don't really care if they destroy the thing they are working on, they will then just tell the customer they need a new one.

Comment

If the bearing is sloppy in the case, the case is shot.

The OD of that bearing is WAY HARDER than the aluminum case...

Also, I was replacing some 1.25" jackshaft bearings on a customers Veneer Stump Grinder. One of the allan keys (keeps the shaft from spinning inside bearing), the head was recessed and stripped. Took a drill to it, drilled away the key successfully AND part of the outside of the BEARING itself.... WTH?? If you can get a slide hammer into the CAGE of the bearing, that may work but you have to spin it around often so it comes out evenly... Heating the case a BUNCH in that area should help too...
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

its not the prop shaft that is stuck.
                        it is the metal oring retainer plate.
                        the gear is pressed to the bearing then the assy is pressed in the carrier.
                        between the gear assy and the carrier is a metal plate.
                        it is corroded to the housing.heat and brute force.
                        I had a machine shop build an adapter that threads on the propshaft and my slide hammer.

Comment

Rodbolt, he said he removed the carrier already with difficulty, but cannot get the prop shaft out

Comment

If the reverse gear did not come out with the carrier the thrust washer is still in there.

Comment

sounds like the only way is to **** on the prop shaft at this point

Comment

Working...
                              X