No announcement yet.

Well crap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put it all back together. Started right off the bat and runs smoother but still has a consistent misfire. That giant bag of turd in the VST screen made it sound and run like hell. MUCH better now, but still AFU.

Pulled plugs, nothing abnormal noted, but the plugs only have about 50 hours on them. They all looked pretty much the same. Was hoping to find one bone dry thus indicating a plugged injector. Did not run a compression test as my junk was far away.

Here's my logic, the system returns fuel to the VST. The VST was full of shit. The first stage fuel filter was as pristine as a young.....ah well, you know what I mean. That leads me to believe that my 13-year old, full of e10 hoses are failing. One of them, downstream of the VST is puking crap into the fuel stream and it's finding its way back to the VST, hence the shatted-up Hi-PSI pump intake screen. Perhaps some of that shat has shatted one of my injectors.

I do not have a Microsoft laptop so I cannot run the software until I get one. My HOPE is that I have a bad / fouled injector. Found a set of OEM/remanned Yam injectors on eBay. Will order them pronto and change them out. Sure it's a shot in the dark, but with two engines and e10, I figure that I will ALWAYS be chasing fuel issues. The last time I pulled and cleaned them, it was like getting two new engines so I figure its money reasonably well spent. It's a boat. What's 80 bucks if I can fix it myself?

Meanwhile I will attempt to find an old laptop to help with troubleshooting. Archer Daniels Midland and the Big Ag Farm lobby can suck my dirty sphincter.

Comment

Is there a reason you do not send them off and have them tested and cleaned

Comment

Well, yes.

I sent them off this spring...I think. I don't keep a maintenance log. It might have been last winter when the whales were here in Jan-Feb.

All was great after that. Boat ran like a string trimmer on meth. IF I had a spare set today, then I would have pulled the injectors and promptly stuck them in today. And with luck, I would know right now if they were the fix. And I could fish tomorrow.

Drive to boat - 25 mins.
        Take crap from truck to boat, open beer - 10 mins.
        Pull cowling, flywheel cover and intake silencer - 10-15 mins
        Yank all the crap necessary to get to the VST - 15 mins or so
        Yank the VST and yank the injectors- 20-30 more.
        I'm just a wrencher, I don't know the shortcuts. To get to this point, its probably been two-plus hours from the time I load the cooler and leave for the boat. Maybe 2.5.
        Drive home from boat.
        Pack injectors and schlep them to the post office.
        Send them off to North Dakota - 5-7 days.
        Sit on my ass.

etc etc etc

Or, fire it up with all the intake crap off, notice that it still has a misfire, spend prob 30-45 mins to yank and replace the injectors with a set of cleaned and tested ones, put it all back together. And then send the dirty set (if that was the fix) off to North Dakota while I sip adult beverages and fish.

Local maggots want 38 bucks per injector. So, I send them off. That takes time. I'm old. I'm running out of time. And, I like spares. It makes me feel proactive, I guess.

All this probably makes no sense, I know. I just hate having a busted boat that I cannot use. It really really chaps my ass.
        Last edited by oldmako69; 09-11-2018, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Could have just wrote ,
          I wanted spares and will send off the ones I pulled if the new ones fix the problem

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            Could have just wrote ,
            I wanted spares and will send off the ones I pulled if the new ones fix the problem
            More fun with all the elaboration.

Comment

He usually includes nice pictures also.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                Put it all back together. Started right off the bat and runs smoother but still has a consistent misfire. That giant bag of turd in the VST screen made it sound and run like hell. MUCH better now, but still AFU.

Pulled plugs, nothing abnormal noted, but the plugs only have about 50 hours on them. They all looked pretty much the same. Was hoping to find one bone dry thus indicating a plugged injector. Did not run a compression test as my junk was far away.

Here's my logic, the system returns fuel to the VST. The VST was full of shit. The first stage fuel filter was as pristine as a young.....ah well, you know what I mean. That leads me to believe that my 13-year old, full of e10 hoses are failing. One of them, downstream of the VST is puking crap into the fuel stream and it's finding its way back to the VST, hence the shatted-up Hi-PSI pump intake screen. Perhaps some of that shat has shatted one of my injectors.

I do not have a Microsoft laptop so I cannot run the software until I get one. My HOPE is that I have a bad / fouled injector. Found a set of OEM/remanned Yam injectors on eBay. Will order them pronto and change them out. Sure it's a shot in the dark, but with two engines and e10, I figure that I will ALWAYS be chasing fuel issues. The last time I pulled and cleaned them, it was like getting two new engines so I figure its money reasonably well spent. It's a boat. What's 80 bucks if I can fix it myself?

Meanwhile I will attempt to find an old laptop to help with troubleshooting. Archer Daniels Midland and the Big Ag Farm lobby can suck my dirty sphincter.
                Don’t understand how/why certain states do not allow the sale of non-ethanol gas. Well, except for wacky CA. VA is a fairly sensible state with a sht load of boaters......

Comment

am I reading correctly,
                  that Fuel injectors have been mailed from Virginia to North Dakota to be tested/cleaned?

Comment

Yes. Excellent work, quick turn around.

He flow-tests them prior to cleaning and again after. Provides you with graph data that shows exactly what was happening with them before and after cleaning. $35 bucks a pop in VB vs. $17 in ND

There may be an automotive shop that does them here, I don't know.

http://www.mrinjector.us/

* I don't think there is a prohibition for selling non e10 here. I know that in certain areas of the state you can still find it. The closest one to me is about an hour away. When you have 200G tank and twins, carrying fuel to your boat becomes a hell of a lot of work.
                    Last edited by oldmako69; 09-11-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Down here below and to the west of Galveston Tx on the coast we finally had a local gas station start selling non E fuel a couple of years ago when he remodeled and set up new tanks and pumps.

he started selling it in another station of his about 20 miles from me to the west of here now too. till then it was impossible to find around here

Comment

[QUOTE carrying fuel to your boat becomes a hell of a lot of work.[/QUOTE]

Yes those volumes and distance a logistical nightmare. You don't realise how convenient fuel stations are!

I have no trouble getting an empty jerrycan filled, but it still involves the lifting of the full can back into the car, then out again, then carry 60 yards, lift up into boat, then cumbersomely empty it into fuel tank slowly via a funnel. And then one is not sufficient.
                        I could lay a hose to my jetty and set up a 44 gallon drum with an electric pump in my garage. But that seems dangerous, and you still have the problem of getting or refilling that 44 gal drum!

Comment

Buddy of mine puts a 55 gal plastic drum in the back of his truck. Fills it at his preferred station and then backs up to the seawall where his boat is in the slip. Runs a rubber garden hose to the boat and fills it. Gravity. No lifting required other than tossing the empty barrel in and out of his truck when he's not using it. Pretty sweet set up.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                            Buddy of mine puts a 55 gal plastic drum in the back of his truck. Fills it at his preferred station and then backs up to the seawall where his boat is in the slip. Runs a rubber garden hose to the boat and fills it. Gravity. No lifting required other than tossing the empty barrel in and out of his truck when he's not using it. Pretty sweet set up.
                            Sweet unless you need 175-200 gallons.

how much fuel do you typically load? If I had a 200 gallon tank it would rarely be full. Too much weight. I noticed Fairdeal’s gauges once. I think it indicated 18 gallons. Whatcha gonna do with 18 gallons?

He must be cycling that E-10.
                            Last edited by pstephens46; 09-11-2018, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Found some 250PSI fuel hose today at Oreilly. 4 bucks per foot. Fairly thin, supple, bendable in tight corners. Will likely change out all the hoses on my engines.

Comment

I too keep a small tank and run the boat often to keep cycling that e 10.
                                hard to break old habits
                                if I did well for as long as I have with e 10 why change now that I can get the more expensive fuel

Comment

Working...
                                X