Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F150 and YDS 1.33 Malfunctioning

And now onto my next mystery...

Have not had any issues this year with the motor. Been running great. But this week I had some intermittent engine shut downs.

Background/Story: The engine was running fine, got back to the slip for a pit stop, decided to go back out, and the engine wouldn't turn over. I noticed that when I turned the key to the on position, the VST pump didn't kick on. So I check the fuses and relay. fuses where good. Relay wasn't clicking. Decided to go get the tester to see what was getting power and what wasn't. Got back to boat from the tool shed, turned the key to on and the pump was working again. Motor turned right over. Everything was running good. Left the doc, ran out and got up on plane, motor shutdown again. Towed back to the doc.

Gave the engine a break for a few hours, (plus I had some errands to run) came back and the boat and motor turned right over again. But I wasn't going back out to test. Figured I should start by plugging into YDS to see if there is anything in the diagnosis and maybe run a few tests.

YDS plugged in while engine is not running: Engine Monitor Looks good.
    YDS Plugged in while engine is running: Engine Monitor flips out.

You tube video here: https://youtu.be/v48757KOPTY

Is this normal for the engine Monitor to look like this while the engine is running??? After a few minutes, the connection errors out and I need to shutdown and reconnect.

Also, I can not run any active or stationary tests. YDS comes back and says the engine is running (when its not) or the engine is in gear (F or R). But its really not. And I am don't see that they shift sensor is malfunctioned.

Any thoughts and any help would be greatly appreciated.

My next steps are to start performing Electrical tests to see if there is anything wrong with the electrical components.

Thanks!

I would not think plugging it in while the motor is running would be a good thing to do

Comment

Your first part sounds like an ignition switch failure kicking in and out . No power to the starter, VST, etc.

The T&T should still work.

As for the rest, may be related to the above, dunno.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

On the YDS did you have your laptop already on and booted up before you plugged your cable into the comm port? I believe you are to start the engine first and then plug the cable into your PC and boot up the computer. Not sure that that will or will not affect your YDS usually it just gives you a comm error message.

You might try reloading your YDS program on your PC also in case something got messed up in the PC.
        Dennis
        Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Fairdeal! Keep me honest please!

key on or running basically powers the cord....

which is necessary to activate the port selection process.

Selecting COM Port One on laptop.

if you are having issues past that I would suspect voltage connection issues

I have not watched the video

Comment

Of course the engine does not have to be running -
            just "key on" to power up the ECM
            (half of YDS is "static test" menu)

My experience has been,
            that the Windows COM Port selection can be done any time -
            don't need to have anything connected

(in fact I usually check it inside the house beforehand,
            rather than try to deal with it in the heat and sun glare down at the dock)

btw I have no clue as to the cause of the OP's problems...

Comment

The instructions that came with my CD of the YDIS stated clearly that you should not power up the PC until you had the "key on" or the engine running or you would get communication errors. Yes it could all be "plugged in" but the laptop was not to be powered on. Just saying. Yes I also set the PC comm port to one without anything plugged in. I probably was not clear in my statement that you can plug it all up to the engine and the laptop just not boot up the laptop until the key is on or the engine running.Normally once set the comm port will stay at one, unless you change it for some other reason, if set that way for future use.

I never saw my laptop act as this one did and thought that maybe if the software was reloaded it night correct the issue if something on the laptop had maybe a corrupted file.

Might also try a different port on your laptop if there is more than one port in case the port itself has connection issue that is corrupting the message from the ECM. Cable could also be bad maybe one end one of the wires is loose in its connector?
              Last edited by dray0151; 08-24-2018, 10:32 AM.
              Dennis
              Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

[QUOTE=dray0151;n209636]The instructions that came with my CD of the YDIS stated clearly that you should not power up the PC until you had the "key on" or the engine running or you would get communication errors.

Hope I will remember this the next time I hook up to engine. I usually spend 10-15 minutes futzing around trying to connect. I don’t use YDIS very often....

Comment

and some of the non Yamaha YDS systems simply do not work well.
                  we had one, it was poorly built.
                  however as all the highlighted stuff was voltage related it is now time to bust a move with the ole multimeter.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    and some of the non Yamaha YDS systems simply do not work well.
                    we had one, it was poorly built.
                    however as all the highlighted stuff was voltage related it is now time to bust a move with the ole multimeter.
                    totally agree.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and suggestions! I really appreciate it all. I will followup with the thread once I solve this one.

Comment

UPDATE:I had to Replace the wiring harness for the Pulsar coil. When the harness male/female were pushed together tight or just shaking the connection would shut the engine down. Took apart the harness to see what the metal pins looked like, and they were corroded. So I replaced it.

There is still something else going on. Engine just doesn't seem to run well. Just looks like its almost missing or something. When idle, it has a little shake to it. Really odd. Just not smooth for some reason. I also haven't figured out why the YDS isn't allowing me to perform stationary tests I still get the YDS error that the engine is running (when its not) or the engine is in gear (F or R). But its really not.

Comment

and typically that message indicates an out of range TPS.

Comment

Originally posted by slads5874974 View Post
                          the YDS error that the engine is running (when its not) or the engine is in gear (F or R). But its really not.
                          Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          and typically that message indicates an out of range TPS.
                          priceless information!

Comment

Agreed. TPS Sensor tests and probably attempting the Sync process this weekend given the expectation that it is out of sync.

Again, thanks for the input!

Comment

Update: So I made the adjustments to the TPS according to the service manual. Output Voltage is perfect at .7

Everything seems to be running good again.

thanks again for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X