Temperature gauge wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature gauge wiring

I have just purchased a (new to me) 1997 Wellcraft 19' CCF with a F115 stroke. The boat has a temperature gauge however it is not hooked up. the motor is an 03 so possibly the gauge was for the old motor. Looking at the wiring and searching the web / forums its looking like this maybe a little more involved than just finding the right wire and hooking it up.

for an '03 motor, any temperature gauge would be an add-on / standalone -
    not any part of the "regular" engine harness.

That type sometimes has only one wire from gauge to sensor -
    which is grounded by its connection to the block

or it could be two wire

is it a Yamaha temp gauge?

Comment

I dont believe the gauge is a Yamaha gauge and it only has one connection for the sending unit. from what i have read the motor should have a alarm if it gets too hot. is that correct? and is there a way to test it?

Comment

The alarm should be in the control box or behind the key switch panel. Pull the kill switch lanyard and then crank the motor. Most Yams will sound the alarm when doing this.

The temperature sender needs to be compatible with the gauge. Either figure out who makes the existing gauge and buy the correct sender for it or you can by a Yamaha gauge and a Yamaha sender.

If and when you do get a sender come back here for information as to where to mount it on the motor.

Comment

Most Yamaha motors have over temp switches/ alarms, but they are not hooked up to a gauge for you to see what the temp is

Comment

Working...
          X