Adding Tilt Gauge Yamaha 175

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Tilt Gauge Yamaha 175

I have purchased a 2015 Key West 203 FS with a Yamaha 175 hp outboard. The console has analog Yamaha gauges (speed, tachometer and fuel) and want to add a trim meter to the group. What all do I need for a total install? I am assuming the wiring harness already has the signal wire from the motor to the wiring block inside the console. As a side note, the fuel gauge is all over the place and when full most times reads between 1/2 and 3/4.

If you have a Yamaha analog tachometer the wiring may look something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by rdalepeak View Post
      As a side note, the fuel gauge is all over the place and when full most times reads between 1/2 and 3/4.
      you might see if you can get a look at the sending unit -
      hopefully under a convenient access plate on the deck
      and identify the brand

there are "lesser quality" sending units in existence, using swing arms
      with numerous failure modes

but the WEMA is very reliable -
      the typical problem being simply a bad wiring connection, or corroded wire
      external to the sender itself.

a reading erroneously low would generally be a poor ground

Comment

Wow... thanks for the great information! One final question... what would the part number that I would have to purchase for the sending unit on the motor itself?

Comment

What is the exact model number?

Comment

***... thanks for the great information! One final question... what would the part number that I would have to purchase for the sending unit on the motor itself?
            Sending unit for what? If you are talking about the trim gauge the trim sender comes with the motor. Just needs to be connected to a gauge.

Comment

When it comes to the fuel tank sender I am very partial to this brand. All solid state. No moving parts.

99.999% of the time it is the sender. If not the sender, then the ground.

www.centroidproducts.com
              Last edited by boscoe99; 08-20-2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have the engine information with me. Will have it later on this evening.

Comment

OMG, I forgot I had the warranty id card in my billfold... engine model F175XA

Comment

OMG, I forgot I had the warranty id card in my billfold... engine model F175XA
                    Part #3, trim sender, should already be on the engine: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...0114/bracket-2
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Well... how about that?!? One less thing to worry with! Thank one and all for your help. I really appreciate it. My apologies for my obvious lack of Yamaha knowledge.

Comment

Well... how about that?!? One less thing to worry with! Thank one and all for your help. I really appreciate it. My apologies for my obvious lack of Yamaha knowledge.
                        No problem.

If you click above on purchase "Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts" above, then enter your information, you'll bring up parts diagrams for about everything.

Being your engine is NOT a US version,(your EXACT model # isn't there), I clicked on a model close to yours...

It's very helpful, especially when tearing down something or re-assembly.
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                        X