• F225txrd mid-section - 4 years post-op

I had the boat on the dock for an engine maintenance -
    realized its now four years since I installed the "exhaust kit"
    So I dropped the LU for a photo - here's the history

just before disassembly and replacement:

[/url]

two years later:

today:

Looks to me to be effective. Despite what they will say on THT.

Comment

Just curious, what did the engine look like further up the stack? Near the oil pan, the bottom of the powerhead etc.

My 2005 325 hour engines have not been done. Local Yam guru says don't bother since they may last another 1000 hours. By that time, they'll be close to 20 years old and likely not worth it. I have not made up my mind yet but will take a gander this fall when I do the water pumps. If they look decent at 400 hours, I'll likely follow his advice.

I often wonder if the corrosion is a by-product of combustion residue AND heat OR heat. And, I often hear people say they run their engines hard. Well, that leads to a higher concentration of gasses and heat, right?

I typically cruise between 3600 and 4000 rpm. The engines are loafing at the bottom end of that range with the boat averaging about 25-26 MPH and nicely on plane. It's probably burning about 14 GPH at this speed and getting roughtly 1.5 MPG.

I know that I'm running the boat cheaper this way, and hope that I MIGHT be avoiding, or minimizing the stack damage over time.
      Last edited by oldmako69; 08-18-2018, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Looks pretty darn good!

Did the "update" the stack from the original?
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

This is what my 2005 f225 TXRD engines looked like with 600hrs needless to say i am in the process of installing two new factory direct short blocks.The mid sections were totally trashed so now I will have essentially two new motors and mid sections.Just wanted to share with you all

Comment

Originally posted by Little KaTuna View Post
            needless to say i am in the process of installing two new factory direct short blocks.
            Ouch.

I would love to understand why some engines corrode all the way up in the block like that -

but others - it appears most - do not.

I am very resistant to the premise that it started lower and "spreads".

Comment

Originally posted by Little KaTuna View Post
              This is what my 2005 f225 TXRD engines looked like with 600hrs needless to say i am in the process of installing two new factory direct short blocks.The mid sections were totally trashed so now I will have essentially two new motors and mid sections.Just wanted to share with you all
              How much did all that cost?

Comment

First post declaration....let’s see if Little KaTuna
                returns for more “dialogue”. So to speak/type.
                Last edited by pstephens46; 09-01-2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I suppose Boscoe could point us to the Yamaha listing for a "factory direct short block" -

if its the "cylinder block assembly" - for my engine (and the OP's)

its $4975.65 at Boats.net (discounted from $5638 list)

then there's tax and shipping.

Not my idea of an enjoyable project....
                  Last edited by fairdeal; 09-01-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                    I suppose Boscoe could point us to the Yamaha listing for a "factory direct short block" -

if its the "cylinder block assembly" - for my engine (and the OP's)

its $4975.65 at Boats.net (discounted from $5638 list)

then there's tax and shipping.

Not my idea of an enjoyable project....
                    I’ll be more direct. As you might imagine....

WTF?

Comment

Maybe too harsh. Maybe the Little KaTuna is left with poor options? Commercial guy trying to minimize expense that also happens to be handy? I don’t know?
                      Last edited by pstephens46; 09-01-2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

The exhaust gases also produce acids from the water that is produced. This condenses on the walls of the exhaust canal. So cold water immediately behind the walls contributes to this condensation. Along with moderate running of the motor, the warm moist exhaust creates a perfect chemical environment to eat the aluminium. This is an argument opposing the view that hot hard running causes it.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

How much did all that cost?
                          I am into it for 6000 so far that is for the new short block and the new midsection starboard side motor almost done

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                            Maybe too harsh. Maybe the Little KaTuna is left with poor options? Commercial guy trying to minimize expense that also happens to be handy? I don’t know?
                            I priced new f225s and 40,000 plus was more than I could afford I figured I have done plenty of interference car engine overhauls this isn't any different, we will see.I have.kids and mortgage just like most of you and if I can save thousands on labor and essentially have new power why not do it.

Comment

Working...
                            X