No announcement yet.

PTT...ATF v. Hydraulic Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious, what did you pressurize it up to and did you test it empty of fluid (just like a lower unit)?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      Just curious, what did you pressurize it up to and did you test it empty of fluid (just like a lower unit)?
      I wasn't there...my rig was over my pop's house. His yam mechanic was servicing his 4 stroke at the house, pop's asked him to look at my PTT unit while he was there. I got the report from pop's on what mechanic did to fix my unit...report didn't include any notion of a pressure measurement, and I didn't think to ask.
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Not to be a downer, but water got in there... Pressure testing with fluid in there isn't accurate (same as a lower unit). Pressures are probably MUCH higher inside the T&T unit than a LU-(little to none to speak of) .

Enjoy for now, but keep an eye on it, I suspect you'll find water in there again..
        Scott

Comment

I thought I read somewhere that those units operate in excess of 1000psi

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
            I thought I read somewhere that those units operate in excess of 1000psi
            Dunno, but makes sense, it is a hydraulic unit.
            Scott

Comment

Not to be a downer, but water got in there... Pressure testing with fluid in there isn't accurate (same as a lower unit). Pressures are probably MUCH higher inside the T&T unit than a LU-(little to none to speak of) .

Enjoy for now, but keep an eye on it, I suspect you'll find water in there again..
              Oh ya, I agree with ya. Refer to my "update" post. No disputing that water got in....the unknown is how. Mechanic noted how he thought the reservoir cap wasn't in the best shape, but oring was in place. Dunno, but I will be keeping a close ear/eye.
              Jason

Comment

Sorry to reopen this thread I am having similar issue. water got into the system.of my 2008 Yam F350 and i know how it did - that’s another story. It was not the seals but the reservoir got a crack in it (the other story ). Now will replace the reservoir cap but have to get the old contaminated hydraulic fluid out. Since there is no drain plug and i dont want to remove the unit in middle of summer I was going to use a large syringe (or even concoct my wet dry vac) to extract as much as possible and refill. Hopefully that gets me thru the end of season then will remove and send to www.trimandtilt.com. anyone ever do this?

Comment

Originally posted by Jbruzzese View Post
                  Sorry to reopen this thread I am having similar issue. water got into the system.of my 2008 Yam F350 and i know how it did - that’s another story. It was not the seals but the reservoir got a crack in it (the other story ). Now will replace the reservoir cap but have to get the old contaminated hydraulic fluid out. Since there is no drain plug and i dont want to remove the unit in middle of summer I was going to use a large syringe (or even concoct my wet dry vac) to extract as much as possible and refill. Hopefully that gets me thru the end of season then will remove and send to www.trimandtilt.com. anyone ever do this?
                  Start a new thread since ur PTT issue is different than topic of this thread. Fluid evacuated from reservior will not also evacuate fluid in motor/tubes. If fluid has emulsified then I believe the entire unit needs removal and tear down. Post new thread to verify.
                  Jason

Comment

I agree, it will take many drains and refills to try to get rid of most of the contaminated oil without a complete tear down , but it should get rid of a lot of the contaminated oil.
                    I rigged up a catch jar between the tube to vac and the tube that is stuck into the reservoir to suck the fluid out before.
                    just drill holes in a tight fitting lid and make sure the holes are just big enough to get tight fit for the tubes.

drain and fill, run up and down many times,
                    and then repeat the process many times

Comment

Originally posted by Jbruzzese View Post
                      Since there is no drain plug and i dont want to remove the unit in middle of summer I was going to use a large syringe (or even concoct my wet dry vac) to extract as much as possible and refill. Hopefully that gets me thru the end of season then will remove and send to www.trimandtilt.com. anyone ever do this?
                      Recently, on an over-filled (with engine oil) came in for repair on a riding mower engine crankcase.

I used a marine LU "pump", (with the wand) you would use to FILL your lower unit with oil.

Just basically backwards. Put the pick up straw in the oil filler tube (or in your case, the T&T unit) and pumped it out. Worked great!

**Jason, what was the outcome / fix of your T&T?

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-21-2019, 07:43 AM.
                      Scott

Comment

**Jason, what was the outcome / fix of your T&T?.
                        Removed unit for service...seals, motor, etc

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post

Removed unit for service...seals, motor, etc
                          You send it out or do it yourself?
                          Scott

Comment

**Jason, what was the outcome / fix of your T&T?.
                            Removed unit and paid for the rebuild...seals, motor, etc
                            Jason

Comment

Working...
                            X