Ring free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring free

Will mercury quick clean do the same a ring free?

Reading the sales sheet: https://www.wholesalemarine.com/quic...ystem-cleaner/ it doesn't mention anything about top end cleaning.

Being 1/5 the price of RF, I suspect it's close to Seafoam in it's performance. Not bad but no where's as effective as RF

*Side note. Junk picked an older Homelite 2 stroke weedeater. After an Ultra Sonic cleaning in the badly clogged carb, new fuel lines, it came to life.
    I run RF in EVERYTHING. Anyway, the engine didn't rev as high as it should and was run at WOT for a bit. The engine eventually cleared out, picked
    approx. 3,000 RPM's. THEN it started SMOKING like heck! (same fuel-NO extra oil). Apparently the RF broke down some of the carbon, crap build up.

The muffler was spewing oil badly and burning it off. (Used brake cleaner to wash the exterior of it as it was dripping there was SOOO much goo in there).

This was with a regular mix of RF, NOT a shock treatment. It gets re-tuned this am as the engine usually runs better after an overnight soak with RF and I can squeeze a couple more RPMs out of it..

Just my experience with it.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Power tune works good too.

Comment

I have used Ring Free since I bought the boat. Hope it is doing some good.

I have read many posts over at THT where people keep a spare set of injectors for their Yam 4 strokes. Swap them every year. Ridiculous or maybe Ethanol related. Never touched mine and hope to never have to.

Comment

the SDS I found for Quickleen shows "Alkylphenol polyoxyalkyl alkylamine" at 10-20%

that's the same or similar to "PEA" i.e. the "detergent" compound in Techron, Ring Free etc.

so likely to be as effective in removing valve and piston deposits

didn't look at the pricing / recommended dose, though

does it really work out to be 1/5 the cost of Ring Free when used as directed?

Comment

I don't understand the need for this product in a four-stroke engine. I'm sure that it does something, but I routinely put over 250,000 miles on my automobile and truck V8's which get nothing more than fresh fuel and regular oil changes. I see on Amazon that its 58 bucks for 32 oz. What is the dilution rate?

I run Startron Enzyme in my marine engines, year round. I add Stabil during the winter months as well.

Comment

Your car or truck will get a lot warmer than an out board. That is why your car or truck will not make oil.

Comment

Make oil? My Yams do not make oil.

Are you suggesting that fuel gets past the rings due to them being stuck and this fuel dilutes the oil?
                Last edited by oldmako69; 08-06-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Running to cold, a stuck open thermostat will cause that.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                    I don't understand the need for this product in a four-stroke engine. I'm sure that it does something, but I routinely put over 250,000 miles on my automobile and truck V8's which get nothing more than fresh fuel and regular oil changes. I see on Amazon that its 58 bucks for 32 oz. What is the dilution rate?

I run Startron Enzyme in my marine engines, year round. I add Stabil during the winter months as well.
                    Normal operating mix for RF is 1 oz / 10 gallons. The dealership price, and other prices on-line is cheaper than that...

Shock dose is 2 oz / 1 gallon..

* I'm now selling it (and "Gas Shok" stabilizer) at $6.00 per oz (either one) to my customers (who want it of course), for preventive maintenance.
                    Just cleaned and got running a "Champion" generator (sold at Lowes, POS Chinese unit). Run's great now.

I tried Stabil (not Marine), years ago. Went back into the carburetor (bowl) a month later, frigging varnish... Threw that crap away...
                    Scott

Comment

biggest problem with residue in carb bowl is the fuel or fuel/oil mix evaporating out of the bowl thru the vent over time leaving residue.
                      no way to stop that unless you drain the carb bowl completely when setting it away for a time, or running it often to keep all of the fuel from going away and leaving stuff behind

some of the additives may leave a film on top of the fuel so it does not evaporate as quickly, but I am not sure how well that works out for a long time period

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

I tried Stabil (not Marine), years ago. Went back into the carburetor (bowl) a month later, frigging varnish... Threw that crap away...
                        Are you suggesting that Ringfree is better for long-term fuel storage? I thought it was for carbon build up in ring grooves, on cylinder heads and valves and seats? Did you check the bowl prior to adding Stabil?

Comment

Are you suggesting that Ringfree is better for long-term fuel storage? Nope, RF is NOT a fuel stabilizer. It's a fuel system and top end cleaner. I thought it was for carbon build up in ring grooves, on cylinder heads and valves and seats? Correct.

Did you check the bowl prior to adding Stabil? The float bowl / carb was cleaned PRIOR to being put up for that month, so yes, it was spotless. I only pulled it back apart as the bowl gasket was compromised and I was now (a month later) replacing it.
                          99Yam, the Stabil (or Gas Shok, or K100 or brand ***) stabilizer, IS supposed to STOP / PREVENT VARNISH (even when fuel evaporates from the bowl), that's it's job. It obviously did not work (and no I didn't drain as the machine was used to cut the vacant lot next to me as least once a week)

I recently had to clean a carb from an F8 Yamaha OB that wouldn't idle. The engine was dropped in the brackish water (not running). My customer got it running but it wouldn't idle - unless choked (low speed jet clogged).

The low speed jet was frozen in the body but eventually removed. Besides SAND literally falling out of the area where the jets screw in, the LOW speed jet, especially the side orifices (very, very small), were all clogged up. It needed a NEW jet as removal destroyed the original screw head. The new jet (and a dip in the sonic cleaner) fixed the issue, starts FIRST PULL.

Point, ^^, being, had they used RF regularly (not counting the sand) and a GOOD STABILIZER, that jet would not have clogged.

Engines run often (my mower, 7hp Briggs, down here) is run all year long and is not as likely to gum up. I use both products in my gas containers / engines. That carb was off once in approx. 15 years ago to change out the main jet (way too rich). Other than that, it's NEVER been cleaned internally, runs like a top. (My 2nd "Snapper" mower since 1985).
                          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-07-2018, 07:44 AM.
                          Scott

Comment

Are you suggesting that Ringfree is better for long-term fuel storage? RF is not a stabilizer, it's a fuel system cleaner as top end cleaner.

I thought it was for carbon build up in ring grooves, on cylinder heads and valves and seats? Correct.

Did you check the bowl prior to adding Stabil? The carb & bowl was just cleaned spotless. The bowl gasket was compromised and I went back in about a month later to replace that gasket and found the varnish.

99Yam, any stabilizer, is SUPPPOSED to stop varnish when the fuel evaporates out of the bowl, that's it's job.

As noted earlier, I run both, RF and Gas Shok. It keeps the fuel fresh and the fuel system (ESPECIALLY float / bowl systems) clean.

For the boat, I run K100 and RF. The K100, just for water mixing properties. With a 50 gallon tank, I use MAYBE 5 gallons an outing so one full
                            tank will last me a LONG time..(The F150 is super stingy on fuel )

*Another post may pop up, admin / the site, gave me a message and cancelled my original post once I got done-This is #2 and tired of typing...

Scott

Comment

The red stabil was real bad when the fuel evaporated, looks like red sand.

Comment

Working...
                              X