2011 F60TLR Idle issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 F60TLR Idle issues

New boat and motor to me runs great the first few hours I owned it then when coming off plane into neutral it stalls. Now the only way I can start it is with the Neutral lever on the 703 Binnacle. If I can keep it from stalling in the water it runs great all the way up. Hook up the muffs in the driveway and it will run for 4 or 5 minutes then stall again - this using the Neutral lever only. Got a new fuel water separator today and dumped the old fuel into a glass jar and did not see any water. Also installed a new fuel filter at the same time. Started it up with the muffs and it ran with the neutral lever pretty steady at idle for about 10 or so minutes. Started walking towards it to shut it off and it dies.

Pulled the plugs which are about 6 months old and they all look dark and wet. Tells me its burning rich. I will do a compression check on all 4 this weekend.

I don't have the diagnostics so I really cant tell if there are any sensors that are problematic.

any thoughts ?

By neutral lever, are you saying you are using the idle lever at higher setting and no choke?
    Sometimes wet plugs at idle means the actual fuel may not be right. When high octane fuel is used the products used to raise the octane are volitlle and evaporate away leaving the other products that condense on the plug. Often a problem with high octane performance cars used in long light city traffic.
    You will need to give more details about your engine for others more knowledgeable about your engine to reply. I suspect your enrichment system that I think is automatic at fault here ("choke" is on not going off)

Comment

I am wondering if this motor is injected or carbed

model #s help everyone know what is being dealt with

Comment

Guessing FI as I peruse F60TLR. Lots of versions however.

be nice to have a little history as well. Hours, etc? Previous owner died and thing sat up for several years....that kind of thing. Fuel type?
        Last edited by pstephens46; 08-03-2018, 11:36 PM.

Comment

All the F60 TLRs show it's Fuel Injected.

I'd start with draining the VST and looking for crap.
          Part #13 is the drain screw: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...jection-pump-1

Then at least a "link and sync".
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

question for all of those with F injected motors, do they have a fast Idle lever on the controls?

I am guessing this F60 uses an Idle Air control valve con*****ing idle speed, so if it does what is the fast idle lever for while in neutral?

Comment

No fast idle lever on mine. Runs a couple hundred rpm higher when cold. Push neutral button and advance throttle to get more rpm at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                question for all of those with F injected motors, do they have a fast Idle lever on the controls?

I am guessing this F60 uses an Idle Air control valve con*****ing idle speed, so if it does what is the fast idle lever for while in neutral?
                The controls (703/704/705) used with the majority of Yam motors all have a fast idle capability. The 703 box is the one with a lever. Others you push a button and advance the throttle so that it does not shift into gear.

In an EFI motor there should be no need to ever have to use the fast idle mode for either type of control box. Just like most key switches have a choke capability which is not used with a number of Yamaha models. It is there if needed. Simply not used if not needed.

Comment

Model is F60TLR serial number 6C5L1047249. The motor is FI and has 220 hours on it. Two prior owners with little information about the first I was told by the second that he used it regularly with 89 octane non-ethanol. when i removed the fuel water separator i did find some evidence of ethanol gunk on the separator mount. this motor uses the 703 binnacle which has a lever next to the forward/reverse/throttle control lever. it will not start unless i use this lever and push it up to where it's getting more fuel than is required for idle. once it starts and warms for few seconds i can drop that lever back down to where it idles. it idles smooth and will run for up to 10 minutes before the rpms begin to drop slowly then dies.

I will check the VST this morning. To me its burning rich and when this first happened on the water I smelled fuel. No leaks in the fuel system though. I will have to take a closer look at the two 15 gallon plastic fuel tanks. Should they have vents ? Cant see how they wouldn't.
                  Last edited by archenemy; 08-04-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

ok
                    the 703 is a side mount not a binnicale.
                    solved that.
                    by raising the fast idle you are doing several things.
                    adding air.
                    changing the TPS value.
                    mostly adding air.
                    have you tested the ISC valve?
                    do you hear the ISC rattle as it resets at shut down?
                    that is when YOU sut it down not when it stalls.

Comment

A Binnacle is a box that holds a compass.

What if a 703 box gets mounted to a binnacle?

How did the term binnacle for a control box come into being? I suspect a control box was once mounted to a binnacle and that started the misnomer. Yamaha likes misnomers.

Where is pstephens?

Comment

So from what Boscoe and Rodbolt said your EFI motor should not need to be used to start or idle.

apparently the motor has a idle control valve that is not working
                        find out what is wrong before it damages something expensive
                        hope it has not already done that

Comment

so i drained the VST. looked a little milky at the start. had to prime the bulb to get anything to come out of the hose. fired it up using the neutral lever and needed to keep it up about 1200 rpm to keep it running. it finally settled in and idled just fine. ran it for 10 minutes then shut it down and tried to start it without the neutral lever and it fired right up and ran until the engine overheat warning appeared. i'm not as concerned with the overheat. i have had enough outboards do that idling in the driveway. So i was hoping to find something more definitive but it looks like the VST needs to be cleaned out. Any advice on next steps ?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                            ok
                            the 703 is a side mount not a binnicale.
                            solved that.
                            by raising the fast idle you are doing several things.
                            adding air.
                            changing the TPS value.
                            mostly adding air.
                            have you tested the ISC valve?
                            do you hear the ISC rattle as it resets at shut down?
                            that is when YOU sut it down not when it stalls.
                            Have not been listening for it but I do hear a gasping noise when I shut it down. What do i need to test the ISC valve ?

Comment

to properly test it you need YDIS.
                              DO NOT use muffs when flushing. use the flush port Yamaha provided and FULL water pressure.

Comment

Working...
                              X