F150 flush hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 flush hose

This has probably been asked before but I did a search and couldn't find it. I went out today for about 4 hours, traveled about 50 miles and both engines (F150s) were running perfect. Noticed when I got home that the flush hose on one was not connected (my goof apparently) but both engines peed real good the whole time out. I would have thought it wouldn't have circulated the water properly with the flush attachment off and not allowed it to pee?? This ever happen to anyone else? Kind of scared me. Engine ran fine, no alarmsat all.

Originally posted by Kirk Gibson View Post
    This ever happen to anyone else?
    only everyone who has owned a Yamaha with that "on board flushing attachment"

you did not get an overheat alarm: everything is fine.

Its as if you had two telltales...

Comment

Got my first overheat alarm EVER on Saturday. I got into some mud at low tide and was bumping along trying to get back to deep water. Motor had enough mud to eat and let me know....

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          Got my first overheat alarm EVER on Saturday. I got into some mud at low tide and was bumping along trying to get back to deep water. Motor had enough mud to eat and let me know....
          need to raise the motor high enough that the pick up is still in the water but you have enough forward motion that the stirred up mud is not getting sucked up.
          move as much weight up front(people) to help raise the back end higher and just slowly move forward so the pick ups have clean water to pump thru the motor.
          no need to stick the water pick ups into the mud

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

only everyone who has owned a Yamaha with that "on board flushing attachment"

you did not get an overheat alarm: everything is fine.

Its as if you had two telltales...
            I've only driven with it off at 5knots for an hour, with no alarm. Didn't notice I had two telltales, but then I didn't realise that I failed to connect the flusher tube back into its sealed connector.
            The lack of a cooling issue when inadvertently leaving the flushing fitting open, raises the question of the effectiveness of this attachment as a flushing means. Mine seems to take plenty of water from the tap, dripping out at several places but leaving it off appears to have little affect on the water flow from the pump.
            I then wonder would it not have been simpler to just have an attachment on the telltale to reverse flush there, seeing that it seems common that it blocks and needs some reverse flushing to clear.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
              I then wonder would it not have been simpler to just have an attachment on the telltale to reverse flush there,
              Interestingly, when Mercury was buying EFI 4-strokes from Yamaha between ~2000-2006 -
              the F75, F90, F115 "powerhead" -

Mercury mated the Yamaha engine to their own midsection/gearcase -

and combined the flush / telltale hoses into one "combination" port -

a "pisser" surrounded by a female hose fitting.

Perhaps even more interesting, while Yamaha was telling their owners
              "don't run the engine on the flush attachment - it might hurt it -
              anyway you don't need to run the engine to thoroughly flush it"

the Mercury engineers told their customers:

Comment

Interesting also that Merc writes to only open tap partially to avoid high pressure.

Comment

BS, open that tap all the way, unless your dealing with a dirt old non thermostatically non pressure con*****ed dinosaur.
                  you simply cannot over pressurize a modern pressure con*****ed outboard with a city water tap.
                  that is the sole function of the pressure control valve.

Comment

Maybe the advice to half turn on tap was just precautionary, to reduce the risk of the hose coming off or indeed damage to the hose section in the engine, under pressure. One could also say taking the prop off is also unnecessary.

Comment

I never remove the prop while flushing a motor and never have been hurt.( so far)

but then I cut myself on a SS prop while putting a lower unit back on
                      I did take a file to the sharp edges afterwards
                      they were like sharp knives

Comment

I let a customer distract me a few weeks back.
                        sliced the back of my index finger on the right hand to the bone. ended up at the clinic.

Comment

That hurt, super glue works for that.

Comment

Gotta bleed to work....

Suzuki has some really sharp props.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                              Gotta bleed to work....

Suzuki has some really sharp props.
                              I have a feeling they do not start out that sharp, but running threw mud/sand tends to sharpen them up real nice.

I know I knock the sharp edges off of mine before working on the lower unit now a days, but it is sharp again the next time

Comment

Working...
                              X