Gear cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear cases

How come thees gear cases get heavier every year?

Maybe we're just getting older?....I always remove the prop before lower unit removal....reduces weight some, makes it easier to maneuver, opportunity to inspect prop shaft, seals, splines, etc.....stainless props are pretty darn heavy!...

Comment

I hear you -
      I won't attempt to remove the LU from my F225 without first removing the SS prop -
      and its still 55 pounds

just the engine cowling itself is getting to be a pita - 22.5 pounds!

Comment

HaHa, I do remove the prop also. I use a ratchet strap to hold it while lining up every thing.
        Tim Baker a service rep for yamaha showed me that trick, got to use your head though.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
          HaHa, I do remove the prop also. I use a ratchet strap to hold it while lining up every thing.
          Tim Baker a service rep for yamaha showed me that trick, got to use your head though.
          Never had many issues installing the lower. Until the last time. Tried four times to line it up and had to set it back down on ground. Hot. I was dying. I finally put a strap on it to catch my breath. Will always use it moving forward.

Comment

Some Yamaha models may have studs in the lower casing, with nuts holding on the LU

but my F225 has bolts -

so I made up a couple of "temporary locating studs"
            I put them in finger tight when I am ready to re-install the LU

makes it a breeze to get the line up / angle of attack when sliding the LU back in
            and then takes the weight while I am lining up the shift shaft

once I have one or two of the bolts in, I back out the "studs"

Comment

Wrestle a few F350 gear cases a couple of times. It will then make the F250 gear case feel like a feather.

I can't image any one person hoisting an F425 gear case by himself.

Comment

Might take a modified transmission Jack to do it?...

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                  Some Yamaha models may have studs in the lower casing, with nuts holding on the LU

but my F225 has bolts -

so I made up a couple of "temporary locating studs"
                  I put them in finger tight when I am ready to re-install the LU

makes it a breeze to get the line up / angle of attack when sliding the LU back in
                  and then takes the weight while I am lining up the shift shaft

once I have one or two of the bolts in, I back out the "studs"

That sir is a good idea...

Comment

try doing a 200 hour service on triple F350's.
                    those cases are 133Lb.
                    I am 136.5 with a mag lite,buck 110 and a likker drink.
                    hope I am long gone for the 425 debacle.

Comment

That is a two person job with a ratchet strap.

Comment

so far I just hoist them up and install them. kinda like an SX drive.

Comment

Working...
                        X