Rodbolt Not a Yamaha question this is on a Mercury engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodbolt Not a Yamaha question this is on a Mercury engine

Question for Rodbolt when he visits again. I have a 2012 Mercury 150 and I think I remember you saying you have also worked on Mercury outboards so I had a couple of questions for you. This is a serial number 1B925382 model 1150F13HD. Do you know are the injectors on these engines serviceable in cleaning and recalibrating like the Yamaha injectors are?

This engine also has an alternator like and automotive alternator and I know of no external regulator or rectifier so these I am assuming are internal to the alternator is that correct?

Dennis
    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

call Jeff at flagship marine in Punta Gorda FL on your injectors. yes the alternator has an internal regulator, kinda like most modern stuff.

Comment

How do they calibrate a fuel injector? Anyone know?

Comment

actually, he said "recalibrating" - perhaps more interesting...

but in fairness, seems the dictionary recognizes a second meaning that might apply

Comment

What does a fuel injector shop physically do to recalibrate the injector? All that I have seen appear to be sealed units. They don't appear to have a recalibration dial on the side of them.

How do they know if it needs to flow more or less fuel? I have never seen a specification for X fuel flow at Y pressure for specific Yamaha injectors.

Let's say one of six injectors flows low compared to the other five. How do they make it flow more to catch up with the rest?

Comment

So Rodbolt then a battery switch with the alternator disconnect can not be wired to this engine but just a regular battery switch can still be incorporated between the two batteries correct?

Sorry I think I meant more cleaning the injectors and checking to be sure they function as they should, I believe that is what Hydro Tech here in Missouri does with the Yamaha ones. I haven't asked them about doing anything with Mercury injectors.
            Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
              So Rodbolt then a battery switch with the alternator disconnect can not be wired to this engine but just a regular battery switch can still be incorporated between the two batteries correct?

Sorry I think I meant more cleaning the injectors and checking to be sure they function as they should, I believe that is what Hydro Tech here in Missouri does with the Yamaha ones. I haven't asked them about doing anything with Mercury injectors.
              Is the motor running well? WOT changed at all? Why mess with the injectors if all is well? I know, I know....we have read about the brush dust from the pump....

Comment

when I sent my "Mercury" injectors (from my black F90) off to Fuel Injector Man in Naples, Fl
                he returned them with a presentation-quality report

it appeared that he was able to "measure - in an exact and precise way"
                (one of the two meanings of the word "calibrate")
                the "Flow Rate" of the four injectors - before and after cleaning

(what was the "unit of measure" for these flow rate values? he didn't say....)

but the number from injector to injector varied before cleaning -
                and matched - exactly - afterward !
                and his software calculated a "Percent of Flow Gain" !
                (calculated to the 100th of a percent !!!)

and the COLORED GRAPHS - just look at those pretty colors !

I was completely satisfied that I had gotten my money's worth.

(and btw the engine had been barely running, above idle -
                but ran flawlessly after re-installing the cleaned injectors)

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  What does a fuel injector shop physically do to recalibrate the injector? All that I have seen appear to be sealed units. They don't appear to have a recalibration dial on the side of them.

How do they know if it needs to flow more or less fuel? I have never seen a specification for X fuel flow at Y pressure for specific Yamaha injectors.

Let's say one of six injectors flows low compared to the other five. How do they make it flow more to catch up with the rest?
                  replace it with an injector that flows the same as the others

Comment

The charts and graphs alone are worth the money.

On another website I frequented a guy ran an injector service shop. He mentioned several times about HPDI injectors flowing too much gasoline. He said he had a way to adjust or calibrate them. He never told me how. Or what flow rate he used as a standafd.

I would be nervous about leaning out a two stroke motor. Particularly a motor that is known to be problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      The charts and graphs alone are worth the money.

On another website I frequented a guy ran an injector service shop. He mentioned several times about HPDI injectors flowing too much gasoline. He said he had a way to adjust or calibrate them. He never told me how. Or what flow rate he used as a standafd.

I would be nervous about leaning out a two stroke motor. Particularly a motor that is known to be problematic.
                      Rodbolt would say “ He is probably an idiot”

Comment

Thanks guys I no longer have the Yamaha engine and was just wanting some knowledge about the Merc engines. I also asked this over on the Merc forum but getting an answer over there is next to never. Eventually boats.net will reply to most questions but I think Rodbolt and you guys have answered my questions on both the injectors and the alternator regulator. I still plan on installing the battery switch just not wiring the alternator disconnect into the system. Hopefully I won't ever be absent minded enough to turn the battery switch to off with the engine running.

I also hope you guys don't mind a Merc question now and then!
                        Dennis

Comment

Hold on now, you do not own a Yam or even a MercYam,
                          we may not be able to help anymore.
                          Just kidding

we can throw thoughts out there on anything

Comment

Collards and Brussels too

Comment

hate collards but tolerate Brussels

Comment

Working...
                              X