• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 60FET charging problem

60FET (Model 1985 ?)
    6H2 L 350548
    ===============
    In a friend's boat the rectifier - regulator was fried since 2010.
    I replace it and the battery and with a clamp Amperometer I measure 0.7A-0.9A maximum charging current.
    Peek voltage from lighting coil >40V
    All connections are in good condition (I searched for voltage drops ... didn't find any).
    Battery voltage in rest condition 12.6V
    Battery voltage in 3500-4000 rpm 12.8V

My multimeter is a Fluke 87v and it is very accurate (I test it)

Any idea why ?

The maximum current output of a 1985 60 HP Yamaha two stroke is 6 amps at best. At full throttle.

Seeing 0.7 ~ 0.9 amps to a fully charged battery seems reasonable. I don't see a problem. The current flow is going to be a function of the delta between the battery voltage and the R/R output voltage.

Voltage at the battery seems on the low side. You might have a voltage drop issue. Would not be uncommon given the age of the motor. Measure the voltage at the red output lead of the R/R. To a good clean ground point on the block. What is the voltage at a fast idle? I would suspect 14 or so volts.

Comment

interesting.
      less than an amp current isn't that surprising with voltage at the battery of only 12.8

seems the mystery is why the voltage is only 12.8

Comment

cause the charging current at WOT is only about 6 amps. if the battery is already charged it will be a lot less.

Comment

Need some help here, I have a 60hp yamaha 60feto 6h2 1987 model, I have changed the lighting coil the charge coil and the rectifier regulator and it’s still no
          t charging, tested ohms reading on all parts and seems I’m chasing my tail as the old ones read pretty much the same, any ideas

Comment

starting your own thread instead of adding onto an old thread is better.
            but I would take peak voltage reading like the service manual says

Comment

Working...
            X