F25 electric start hesitation and now won’t turn over with push button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F25 electric start hesitation and now won’t turn over with push button

I purchased a used 2009 F25 recently that had maybe 20 hrs of use. It ran fine when purchased. After taking it out the first trip hesitation and bogging happened with it going dead or even backfiring slightly when throttle is applied. I can feather the throttle to get it on a plane but then it feels likes it’s not where should be with power. I thoroughly cleaned carb with cleaner, compressed air even used steel wire to clean all passages. Checked the spark and it was very strong. Changed plugs. Checked thermostat and it was not corroded and opened freely. Fuel bulb and lines and tank are brand new. After cleaning and inspecting carb for the 5 th time I put in water yesterday and same issue . I stopped to fish on the way back to dock . When I went to fire engine back up there was nothing happening when I pushed the start button. No click just nothing. I got it back on trailer using *****ing motor. I pulled cowling and noticed the electrical components were all hot to touch. fuses were all good. Had voltage all the way to starter. I jumped it with a screw driver and it fired right up. After it cooled.... it I’ll have nothing at push button. Thinking my issue all along is electrical. Would CDI cause all this?

CDI has nothing to do with the starter not working

Comment

Make sure your shift lever is in the neutral position [wiggle it].

Comment

Checked shifter.... made sure lever was in center of neutral cut off switch. Wiggled it , tapped it, stared at it.

Comment

if you measured and do not have voltage to the start button you need to look for a bad connection before it gets to the push button.
          If it has voltage to it,but not out of it when pushed, the button switch is bad internally

Comment

Tapped on starter relay... it’s working now. Can anyone shed some light on my other issue with hesitation backfire and not running at full power.

Comment

Just a guess, but I think it still is a carb problem.
              might need to use a heated sonic bath to clean it properly.
              Did you set the carb to specs in service manual?

can you tell us which of these F25 motors you have
              https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...and-later/25hp

Last edited by 99yam40; 07-15-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Did you literally PULL all THE JETS inspect and clean?

It sounds as if their still clogged/varnished up (from sitting before you bought it). Just a spray thru the body, jets INSTALLED, doesn't cut it..

Below is a pic (to give you an idea of the jet size holes) from an F8 I'm currently working on. This low speed jet was completely clogged up (as was some other jets).

You could NOT see it clogged un-less it is removed due to the "sideways holes":

As I don't know your EXACT model (to look up parts) you may have an "accelerator pump" attached to the bowl. This particular engine went under water (brackish) and brought to me running but NOT idling. That accelerator orifice, (even after a Sonic cleaning) seized up the "pump" and wouldn't move (corroded aluminum). A hand cleaning got everything open again and currently waiting on a new low speed jet (seized up in the carb body, removed but destroyed with an Easy Out". That jet as well as others were varnished up AND sand fell out of the carburetor...

Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Jets were removed and steel wire ran through all holes , the plunger was removed and a new boot put on plunger rod. All holes have been soaked, steel wire ran through and confirmed cleaner passed through all. No air leaks... sprayed cleaner around all gaskets and hoses to confirm . Fuel is pumping good with plenty of fuel in bowl. With the electrical parts getting hot to touch and the multiple carb cleanings I’m thinking it’s eletrical.

Comment

I gather you also blew brake or carb cleaner thru all the carb body orifices and made sure it exited somewhere?

(Sounds like you did fine in the above-many folks don't do the above)
                    Scott

Comment

just exactly what kind of electrical problem do you think you have to cause backfiring,hesitation, and bogging

timing light will show what the timing is along with indicating if spark it skipping
                      still not sure which F25 you have

Comment

Attached model number......just doesn’t make sense that eletrical components got too hot to touch sat. I was using *****ing motor to get back to dock so I don’t think the amperage draw from *****ing motor made these parts that hot. I have read other places that the cdi can cause erratic spark or if the temp sensor is bad there is a safe mode motor will go into.

Comment

I gather you also blew brake or carb cleaner thru all the carb body orifices and made sure it exited somewhere?

(Sounds like you did fine in the above-many folks don't do the above)
                          Scott

Comment

Carb cleaner exited every hole inside carb multiple times

Comment

voltages into and out of CDI can be measured/monitored to see if they change when problem shows up with the proper test equipment

Comment

Working...
                              X