2014 F150 Blowing water from exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 F150 Blowing water from exhaust

I have twin F150 XA Motors. After replacing the water pumps last week i now have water blowing from the rear upper exhaust above the water line. (1"x3" black plastic piece). This only happens at idle. it goes away once in gear and above 800 RPM's. I ran it 38 miles home once i noticed this with no problems. No abmormal heating and motor was peeing as expected.

Not quite sure where that is, but are parts 10 & 11 installed correctly?

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I think he is blowing water out of idle relief port. Something not hooked up right on that pump repair.

Somebody also mentioned if a poppit is stuck open, water may spray out of the port. I have no idea if this is true. I may test this when I get home just for the hell of it...

Comment

I was use to having water coming out of the idle relief port on my other non Yamaha motors.
        I worried about my C40 not doing it, but I have run it for about 10 years now and it still runs well

Some others with F150s will have to chime in if those should be doing that or not

never heard of PRV dumping out of the Idle relief, think it dumps out the regular exhaust
        Last edited by 99yam40; 07-09-2018, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          I was use to having water coming out of the idle relief port on my other non Yamaha motors.
          I worried about my C40 not doing it, but I have run it for about 10 years now and it still runs well

Some others with F150s will have to chime in if those should be doing that or not

never heard of PRV dumping out of the Idle relief, think it dumps out the regular exhaust
          I don’t think the stuck PRV would do it either. That water just follows the same path. Mine dumps a little water at higher rpms. Which makes sense. My guess is something not assembled correctly or missing with the pump.

Comment

I didnt mess with #10-11 but i will sure drop the lower again toverify that they are there. Anything at this point. I have included a pic of the exhaust, or Idle refief port if that is what it is. When i saig blowing, its not a constant flow but more of a desent rain behind the motor at idle. IMG_0027 (1).jpg

Comment

I noticed the same problem after I replaced my water pump yesterday. It seemed to go away wafer at higher rpms. Did you happen to notice any issue with those parts?

Comment

Did either of you use grease or something to hold the seals and orings in place when putting the pieces back together. None of those seals seem to stay in place without it. They slip out a little and then you torque the bolts and then you have no seal...

Townsend needs to make a damn video!

Comment

If you look at an automobile exhaust that has been idling for a while you will see water dripping out. When hydrocarbons burn they produce water as steam. At high revs the water disappears because the the hotter higher flowing exhaust prevents the steam condensing to water.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    Did either of you use grease or something to hold the seals and orings in place when putting the pieces back together. None of those seals seem to stay in place without it. They slip out a little and then you torque the bolts and then you have no seal...

Here's the best video I have re the above. Looking at the water behind the engine, nothing.

I don't remember if some trickles out of there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134...n/photostream/

This one, on muffs, doesn't seem to show anything either:

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by cleddau1 View Post
                      If you look at an automobile exhaust that has been idling for a while you will see water dripping out. When hydrocarbons burn they produce water as steam. At high revs the water disappears because the the hotter higher flowing exhaust prevents the steam condensing to water.
                      OP says one motor sprays water and other does not. Something changed, unless he didn’t notice it before. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Here's the best video I have re the above. Looking at the water behind the engine, nothing.

I don't remember if some trickles out of there.

This one, on muffs, doesn't seem to show anything either:

I wasn’t very clear. I was thinking somebody should make a video showing water pump assembly using lots of grease to hold things in place.

Comment

I wasn’t very clear. I was thinking somebody should make a video showing water pump assembly using lots of grease to hold things in place.
                          Can't help ya there... Maybe in another year!
                          Scott

Comment

I used grease on all seals. I noticed that some images of the lower unit show an exhaust seal which I don't have in my motor. It sits inside the exhaust port on the lower unit next to parts 10 and 11.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X