Tach reads 0 rpm goes into limp mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach reads 0 rpm goes into limp mode

Hey guys i have had a few issues with my tach recently. The tach was sounding a constant alarm when key turned on than it kept sounding when engine was turned on (no symbols flashing etc.) Got it up on the plane for approx 2 mins before it went into limp mode, turned off than back on all good. Probably after another 5 mins of running the tach stopped working and just reads 0rpm, engine hours are also frozen and have not changed. Also the engine will continue to go into limp mode at random times. Has anyone had a similar issue? I dont have a multimeter to check wires etc but can get one

it seems you may be referring to a Yamaha digital display "multifunction" gauge
    i am not aware of any version which is capable of sound
    (horn is usually on the keyswitch or control box)

what year / model Yamaha is this?

btw I must say, I am impressed with the troubleshooting technique
    of running with the alarm sounding to get up on plane

Comment

I need an alternator for a chevy. can anyone give me the part number???

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        I need an alternator for a chevy. can anyone give me the part number???
        Thought you had a Ford?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Thought you had a Ford?
          Won't a Chevy alternator work with a Ford? An alternator is an alternator.

I alternate from this website to another and then back here again.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredluke View Post
            Hey guys i have had a few issues with my tach recently. The tach was sounding a constant alarm when key turned on than it kept sounding when engine was turned on (no symbols flashing etc.) Got it up on the plane for approx 2 mins before it went into limp mode, turned off than back on all good. Probably after another 5 mins of running the tach stopped working and just reads 0rpm, engine hours are also frozen and have not changed. Also the engine will continue to go into limp mode at random times. Has anyone had a similar issue? I dont have a multimeter to check wires etc but can get one
            There is no "limp mode" in any Yamaha outboard motor. Drive it around in the limp mode and you can kill it.

There is no Yamaha tachometer that has an audible alarm capability.

Yes, other people have had similar issues as those that you describe.

Care to share with us which model Yamaha you are talking about? They are not all the same. There are some minor differences between some Yamaha outboard models.

Comment

Yamaha 1999 70hp. I should of added that the horn doesn't work all of the time. If i pull the safety lanyard and try to start it there is no audible alarm

Comment

the 1999 70 does NOT have the feature that sounds the horn with the lanyard removed.
                if your using the 703 control box DO NOT plug the two gray wire together under the hood.
                if you do you get an audible at key on.
                maybe knowing what tach you have and which control box would help us help you.

Comment

Working...
                X