C90 compression ratios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C90 compression ratios

O.K., my book for my 1999 C90 Yamaha says the compression ratio for cylinder #1 is 5.76:1, cylinder #2 is 5.67:1, cylinder #3 is 5.86:1......why the differences?....Are these differences created by simply different ports?......Surely somebody knows about this!

Where are you getting your information from? What book? I am not seeing in the service manual what you have posted.

Comment

not uncommon for Yamaha to use ********g compression ratios on both inline and V motors. why worry/
      simply run it and enjoy.

Comment

The book is a sales catalog from 2008 showing all models and specifications.....the motors with varying compression ratios are the 200 2.6L HPDI, the 175 2.6L V-Max
        HPDI, the 150 2.6LV-Max HPDI and my C90 model.....all other motors in the line up have consistent compression ratios in all cylinders. I've just always been curious about this???
        Any ideas?

Comment

your "sales " book is simply wrong.
          way more models than that have a varying compression and for a lot of other year models.
          it is not like you have the ability to verify it.
          that is why when doing a compression test you will note 7-10 psi difference when going from 1 to 3.

Comment

Yamaha is known to be loose with their data. I suspect that the document you have is simply in error. Below is a snippet from the 1999 PIG (Product Information Guide) which indicates a compression ratio of 5.9/1 for all three cylinders. This agrees with the service manual.

If I had to guess how the CR varies from cylinder to cylinder, if and when it does, I would suspect it is the way that the head is cut. Particularly if the pistons are all the same part number.

Comment

This is not a big deal to me.....just curious why compression ratios would vary from cylinder to cylinder...maybe to help balance the motor???

Comment

I have never come across anyone that had a good reason for varying compression ratios amongst cylinders on the same motor. Seems there must be a good reason for doing it but the why is the mystery. Why on some motors and not on other motors?

However Yamaha has a knack for doing some stuff that simply defies all logic.

Comment

Well, if you find out anything about this please let me know so I can just put it to rest....bet someone over at Yamaha can answer this?

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                    Well, if you find out anything about this please let me know so I can just put it to rest....bet someone over at Yamaha can answer this?
                    Only in Yamaha in Japan will anyone know why they did what they did. I tried to Google it. Got no where.

Comment

dunno, most all the 3.1L two smokes you will see a 5 psi difference from 1-4 and 5-6. always did.

Comment

Looks like this may remain one of life's little mysteries,...sorta like women-folks....But if anybody figures either of these out, please share the answers....

Comment

Working...
                        X