No announcement yet.

Welding mating surface on Yamaha powerhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to get a large surface good and flat is hard to do.
    Did you use a straight edge to look for high/ low spots?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      trying to get a large surface good and flat is hard to do.
      Did you use a straight edge to look for high/ low spots?
      I did use a straight edge. It is a machinists metal ruler and I built a sander made from a flat piece of plywood with a handle that I screwed on and then stapled some 60 grit paper on keeping it tight. Once I got close, I used the straight edge and some emery cloth stapled to a piece of flat 2 x 4.then I would mark the high spots with a sharpie and hit it with 320 grit wet/dry paper on a flat surface, I also used a file from time top time It took a while, but oddly enough, I found that a couple of parts of the mating surface that was not affected were not perfectly flat. My new oil pump and sleeve will be here on Thursday, so I am planning on putting the PH back on this Saturday.
      Last edited by rpambrun; 07-17-2018, 08:56 PM.

Comment

I have used a thick piece of plexiglass and wet sand paper with water to do heads before, but they were on smaller motors (single or 2 cylinder motors.

The blocks are hard to get done right
        also kind of hard to get bigger parts to work on smaller sheets of sand paper.

sounds and looks like you got it done well

Comment

That looks really good!, but just for my future reference, how much was the charge for that welding?....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
            That looks really good!, but just for my future reference, how much was the charge for that welding?....
            The welder charged me one hour shop time which was 80 bucks. Additional welding done by the folks that made my tank was nothing

Comment

Working...
            X