X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachometer / 4S engine compatibility

Tachometers.jpg

Hi,

brand new onboard, living in New Caledonia and buying a second hand earlier Glacier Bay 220 (1996)
    It has twin 2002 F115 (counter rotation) from US market with old 6Y5-8350T tachometers you can see on picture.
    They are faded and hard to read, I would like to replace them.

Which Yamaha tachometers can be wired to my 2002 F115? I assume all 6Y5 should be compatible, am I right?

Can I put other kind of tachometers, eg. KUS analog tach and separate trim indicator, using currently installed harness?
    I prefer large analog indicator for both trim and engine RPM.

Any kind of information will be highly appreciated as I live far from everything!

thanks for reading!

Olivier

Those tachometers can be set to a four stroke mode. There is a switch in the back for this purpose.

There is a company that can refurbish the tachometers for a fraction of the price of new ones.

Or you can simply purchase the latest version of what you have and it will work well with the new motor(s).

The motor can be wired to Yamaha digital tachometers (6Y5 type) or analog (6Y5) type. The digital tachometers and the type that you have offer much more information than do the analog types. Almost any aftermarket tachometer can be made to work with your new motor(s).
    Last edited by boscoe99; 01-11-2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your quick answer Boscoe99.
      It looks interesting, I should be able to choose any tachometer, trim indicator I want, but do you think I will have to change 6Y5 harnesses or I could use the ones in place?

Comment

I would stick the Yamaha gauges so you get all of the other stuff, not just Rpm and trim

Comment

Stick with Yamaha and it will mostly be plug and play.

Choose non-Yamaha stuff and all bets are off with respect to wiring.

Your tachometers don't look too bad IMO. In the scheme of things. As I mentioned, they can be refurbished to look like new for not a lot of bucks.

http://gaugesaver.com/

Comment

Thanks for your advices guys, I just sent an email to "uncle Bob" to check if shipping & work rates make it worth!

Comment

I highly recommend Gauge Savers. He refurbished my '93 speedo and tach. They look and work like new.

Comment

Hi guys,

Before sending my tachos to GS, I have an opportunity to get some second hand tach's in very good shape, could I wire 6Y8T-01 tach's and 6Y8S-01 speedo on the 2002 F115 engines?
                Would the harnesses actually on my boat be compatible with the new gauges??

thanks!
                Last edited by OlivNewCal; 08-28-2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

they are the "square" ones like these :

yamaha-tachometer-6y8t-01-4368-p.jpgyamaha-speed-fuel-gauge-6y80-01-4375-p.jpg

Comment

with 2002 F115 ? sorry, no
                    the 6Y8 aka "Command Link" gauges will not work with an engine made before 2005

Comment

Finally found some good shape second hand 6Y8T-11 tachometers, one of the old 6Y5 screen was out of order anyway, wasn't worth getting only one refreshed
                      by GS.
                      Next step is to connect new tachos in place of the older ones...

20190106_181701.jpg
                      I would like to use existing harnesses/wires, as wires quantity is different I wonder how to do that!

20190106_181321.jpg
                      Should I put back hourmeters or new 6Y8 will shows engines hours??
                      I have a "speed/fuel" gauge still on the console, it has to be connected with other gauges, so I suppose I will need a hub to connect all gauges together, am I right?
                      Would a 6Y8 91920 0100 be OK?

Any help would be appreciated guys!

thanks & healthy, happy new year!

Olivier

Comment

Like Fairdeal said: 6Y8 are Command Link gauges. Your motors doesnt have Command Link and there is no way to get them to work.

Comment

the Command Link are the new "square" ones, no?

Comment

Boscoe said earlier : The motor can be wired to Yamaha digital tachometers (6Y8 type) or analog (6Y5) type. The digital tachometers and the type that you have offer much more information than do the analog types. Almost any aftermarket tachometer can be made to work with your new motor(s).
                            I think the ones I want to install are the digital version, am I right?

Comment

There are digital 6Y5 tachos that will work with your motors (like the ones in your first picture). There are both square and round 6Y8 command link gauges available (won’t work with a 2002 model motor). Confusing enough?
                              Last edited by holmen78; 01-11-2019, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X