Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SX225TXRZ - Breaking in after ring job

Hey guys,

I just finished mounting the power head back after replacing just the piston rings. I read in the manual about the 10 hours breaking in process with 50:1 fuel mixture. My question is, does it really need 10 hours for just seating the rings? Is there anything else to be concerned about to properly restart the motor?

does just throwing new rings in mean you did nothing to the cylinders?
    rings will not seat well without a crosshatch in cylinder walls to wear them in.
    also did you check the cylinder bores to make sure new rings will fit properly

Comment

Plus 1^^^. Hope you honed the cylinders and measured ring end gaps..

Re your question, one of the main reasons for break in procedures IS to seat the rings to the cylinder. Varying RPM's is crucial for break in, steady RPMs for a long time, not so good..

Simply running at varying RPMs (normal operation for the most part) should do it.. Avoid WOT for extended periods of time.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I should have provided more details... yes, the cylinders were honed and confirmed standard ring size was required. All bearings in good shape and all carbon deposit cleaned.
        For how long should I run 50:1 mixture?

Comment

Originally posted by mesias_yam View Post
          I should have provided more details... yes, the cylinders were honed and confirmed standard ring size was required. All bearings in good shape and all carbon deposit cleaned.
          For how long should I run 50:1 mixture?
          I'd go by what the manual states however, running 50:1 for 10 hours isn't a big deal or super expensive.

Better safe than sorry...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Just curious but were the rings warn out or were there other issues causing ring replacement?....

Comment

I had some concerns with blocked water passages plus a water leak thru rusted bolts in the exhaust cover plate. After removing the heads most water passages were OK thanks to Rydlyme Marine I used before. In the process of removing the exhaust plate many bolts broke. The machine shop will not remove them with the motor assembled so I had to give them the bare block. After inspecting all inner parts I decided to replace the rings just because it was easy to do (expensive though).

Comment

Working...
              X